Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Gets A Simple Drawing Library

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland Gets A Simple Drawing Library

    Phoronix: Wayland Gets A Simple Drawing Library

    A simple drawing library has been created for Wayland in the process of porting a simple terminal and dynamic menu system from X11 to Wayland...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMTQ

  • #2
    I wonder what type of apps is he creating with this extremely limited drawing library.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I wonder what type of apps is he creating with this extremely limited drawing library.
      Well, if you read the article you would have seen:

      Originally posted by phoronix
      wanting to port ST (a simple terminal emulator for X) and Dmenu (a dynamic menu for X) to Wayland.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        I wonder what type of apps is he creating with this extremely limited drawing library.
        Software that sucks less. I wonder if this library will help in making DWM for wayland, having a good tiling compositor would be awesome.

        Comment


        • #5
          But it if doesn't suck while the rest does, why don't we have it on gnome/kde desktops by default, conspiracy?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            But it if doesn't suck while the rest does, why don't we have it on gnome/kde desktops by default, conspiracy?
            Stuff from this site is for people that know C and love to hack and tune their desktops, definitely not for someone that just wants a complete environment. Personally, i prefer slightly more bloated but convenient stuff, like i3 and rxvt-unicode. Dmenu was irreplacable until i replaced it with interrobang.
            Last edited by kaszak; 07-27-2013, 03:45 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kaszak View Post
              Software that sucks less. I wonder if this library will help in making DWM for wayland, having a good tiling compositor would be awesome.
              How about TWM?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kaszak View Post
                Stuff from this site is for people that know C and love to hack and tune their desktops, definitely not for someone that just wants a complete environment. Personally, i prefer slightly more bloated but convenient stuff, like i3 and rxvt-unicode. Dmenu was irreplacable until i replaced it with interrobang.
                They should have named it unussable then. Not suck less.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  How about TWM?
                  Oh, the horror!
                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  They should have named it unussable then. Not suck less.
                  It is usable if you are willing to sacrifice some time to fine-tune and modify it to your liking, otherwise not so much.
                  Last edited by kaszak; 07-27-2013, 04:05 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kaszak View Post
                    It is usable if you are willing to sacrifice some time to fine-tune and modify it to your liking, otherwise not so much.
                    It was tongue in cheek. Projects like that are just for the people that wrote them and a few more geeky/"i use this unknown WM which makes me cool"/i only need a terminal etc people. Cool for them but pointless for everybody else.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, xterm has 65k lines of code! :O
                      http://st.suckless.org/
                      That is about 4 times as much as wayland.

                      Somehow I always thought it was extremely lightweight.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kaszak View Post
                        Oh, the horror!
                        I don't know, I was always somehow partial to TWM. It's pretty original. It would even work well for tablets, since one of the easiest things to do there is drag, and much harder is to precisely click something. Added a bit of a flashier interface and a unified way of minimising things/displaying the tray, it would pass for a modern, original UI.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                          Wow, xterm has 65k lines of code! :O
                          http://st.suckless.org/
                          That is about 4 times as much as wayland.

                          Somehow I always thought it was extremely lightweight.
                          The only thing LoC measures is how many lines of code there are - no more, no less. It's worthless as any kind of measure of complexity, or of how 'heavy' the program is.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Indeed, startup speed is a much better measure.

                            xterm is really slow in that regard, which prompted me to find alternatives a few years back. Rxvt was fast, but didn't support truetype fonts, aterm had some issues I can't remember anymore, I ended up using mrxvt.

                            st seems otherwise good, but no scrollback and no utmp are pretty much dealbreakers. No I'm not going to use wrapper programs for each.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Don't know if this is bloat and the beginning of the dark path X has taken or is something that should be worked out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X