Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing With GTK/Qt5/SDL/EFL On Wayland 1.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Digit View Post
    Nothing, just the options we were talking about in tty8.

    Just one weston-display-server (and one weston-keyboard, weston-desktop)

    R,
    Hi.

    I found the issue. It's a Kernel Mode setting permissions issue with /dev/dri/card*
    Most of my testing was done on VirtualBox, so the Framebuffer part got a better testing then.
    Anyway it seems that with the fact that the permissions on the file is supposed to be granted by console-kit or the login manager, so I made a commit to add the plugdev users group permissions to access that file similar to the way I do it to /dev/fb*.

    I don't know if there's a more secure way to do this, as any local user that can log in will be able to see /dev/dri/card0

    I'm really sorry about this. I guess I should push a new ISO with the fix.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
      Hi.

      I found the issue. It's a Kernel Mode setting permissions issue with /dev/dri/card*
      Most of my testing was done on VirtualBox, so the Framebuffer part got a better testing then.
      Anyway it seems that with the fact that the permissions on the file is supposed to be granted by console-kit or the login manager, so I made a commit to add the plugdev users group permissions to access that file similar to the way I do it to /dev/fb*.

      I don't know if there's a more secure way to do this, as any local user that can log in will be able to see /dev/dri/card0
      Yes, after changing the permissions of that file, the session launched fine


      Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
      I'm really sorry about this. I guess I should push a new ISO with the fix.
      Yeah, I want my money back

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Digit View Post
        Yeah, I want my money back
        It's already returned, didn't you notice?

        Comment


        • #19
          The new ISOs with the permission fix are up
          https://sourceforge.net/projects/reb...2014th%202013/

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
            ...I don't know if there's a more secure way to do this, as any local user that can log in will be able to see /dev/dri/card0 ...
            I think security, while important in itself, in this case should be the last of your worries. People running your distro just wanna play with Wayland, see how it works, period. Thanks for your hard work.

            Edit: Just to clarify, if you need to sacrifice security to make Wayland work better - go for it.
            Last edited by mark45; 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              What is the difference between the reuduced and the non-reduced iso other than that one is smaller?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                What is the difference between the reuduced and the non-reduced iso other than that one is smaller?

                The smaller one doesn't have debugging symbols in the binaries, and all the -dev packages, and other development related packages are removed.

                If you're just using wayland, there shouldn't be a user visible difference between the two (except one uses less space)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  I think security, while important in itself, in this case should be the last of your worries. People running your distro just wanna play with Wayland, see how it works, period. Thanks for your hard work.

                  Edit: Just to clarify, if you need to sacrifice security to make Wayland work better - go for it.
                  Provided that the users are warned of course!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                    The new ISOs with the permission fix are up
                    https://sourceforge.net/projects/reb...2014th%202013/
                    Much appreciated, thanks for your hard work.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                      The new ISOs with the permission fix are up
                      https://sourceforge.net/projects/reb...2014th%202013/
                      Much appreciated, thanks for your hard work.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        How can i write it to usb? i tried using dd tool, but it didnt worked out

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by sstp View Post
                          How can i write it to usb? i tried using dd tool, but it didnt worked out
                          dd worked for me. Did you use /dev/sdx, and not /dev/sdx1 for example, as the 'of=' parameter? Also check that you didnt mess up if and of.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Or loopback mount the .iso with grub2 and use so-scan/filename=$isofile as a kernel parameter to find the .iso from the kernel. Worked for me. No dd or seperate partition needed.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                              The smaller one doesn't have debugging symbols in the binaries, and all the -dev packages, and other development related packages are removed.

                              If you're just using wayland, there shouldn't be a user visible difference between the two (except one uses less space)
                              Thanks, I downloaded the reduced one. And man it's awesome, I almost cried! After all these years the most annoying thing since back in the time when I used Beryl, the slow resizing of windows, is finally gone. I was also glad to see that EFL is already installed and that it is working perfectly. I liked the "Flip Page" test in particular. Hopefully this will eventually get integrated into an EFL pdf reader. Now I really can't wait for Fedora 20 or so when I can finally have a native Wayland desktop with Enlightenment. Developers, please hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                              Another little thing I noticed is that buttons in Gtk applications now have an animated hover effect. I don't know if this is because of the new Gtk version or just because of the theme, but it is nice.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Just tested and... very enthousiastic!

                                No tearings! (Even in videos!)

                                Of course there were things that didn't work, but what works is great!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X