Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New X.Org-Free Wayland LiveCD Released

Phoronix: A New X.Org-Free Wayland LiveCD Released

For technology demos and testing, the "first true Wayland LiveCD" has been released that can start Wayland directly without depending upon an X.Org environment...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM3ODY

Michael your linking habits are pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Nille; 05-25-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Michael your linking habits are pain in the ass.
      This. That first link really should of been to the project home page.

Comment

"Rebecca black os"
        lol....

Comment

Security

The other day someone said now X is going to die. Is Wayland really better than X? In which aspects?

If I see the advantage, I think I'll fork this OS to fix the security issues. Probably Annoying Orange OS or 1DOS (sounds good!).
          Last edited by teresaejunior; 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Just gave it a quick spin. I used a grub.cfg like this so you could just pop the .iso on / and reboot and use it from the GRUB menu without burning the .iso or dd'ing it to a partition.

Code:
            set rblack=/RebeccaBlackLinux_i386.iso
            menuentry 'Rebecca Black Linux' {
            	loopback	loop	$rblack
            	linux	(loop)/casper/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=${rblack} boot=casper noeject noprompt quiet splash
            	initrd	(loop)/casper/initrd.gz
            }
            Quick impressions:
            • Thank god no recognizable artwork included
            • Modified KUbuntu disk (KDE is nice...) anyway...
            • Seems to work nice, many demo's included
            • No NetworkManager (browsing!)
            • Looks stable (did not crash in 5 minutes testing)
            • Drop down menu's do drop down, but now where you expect them to drop-down (hehe)
            • beccaholic ?

If this is being done with just a small fraction of the codesize compared to X, just wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
              Just gave it a quick spin. I used a grub.cfg like this so you could just pop the .iso on / and reboot and use it from the GRUB menu without burning the .iso or dd'ing it to a partition.

Code:
              set rblack=/RebeccaBlackLinux_i386.iso
              menuentry 'Rebecca Black Linux' {
              	loopback	loop	$rblack
              	linux	(loop)/casper/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=${rblack} boot=casper noeject noprompt quiet splash
              	initrd	(loop)/casper/initrd.gz
              }
              Quick impressions:
              • Thank god no recognizable artwork included
              • Modified KUbuntu disk (KDE is nice...) anyway...
              • Seems to work nice, many demo's included
              • No NetworkManager (browsing!)
              • Looks stable (did not crash in 5 minutes testing)
              • Drop down menu's do drop down, but now where you expect them to drop-down (hehe)
              • beccaholic ?

If this is being done with just a small fraction of the codesize compared to X, just wow.

There should be a networkmanager, but you have to start it manually. It should be in the panel at the top, as the wifi icon next to the speaker icon.

Comment

I had never heard about this Rebecca black before phoronix wrote about this "fan" distro with wayland?
                Is it really a real "fan distro" or part of some sort of strange viral marketing stunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                  I had never heard about this Rebecca black before phoronix wrote about this "fan" distro with wayland?
                  Is it really a real "fan distro" or part of some sort of strange viral marketing stunt?
                  This is Rebecca Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_IpvujFWE
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OxWD85Ngz4
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEXgUdNGkts
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbZKQIUZvM
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Comment

No more reliance on X? Well, that just put a whole new meaning to X Free 86

Comment

Kinda pointless to create a distribution just to show off the new plumbing layer.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                        Kinda pointless to create a distribution just to show off the new plumbing layer.
                        Your statement is in contradiction with itself: in the first part you declare it as pointless when in the second part you just to show off what it is the point. Take a decision.
                        Plumbing layer...is it the new definition of display server? :-)

Comment

Nice! Unstable and pre-alpha as it may be, it's quite cool to run Wayland/Weston for myself. Reading about progress is one thing; actually opening a web browser, watching a YouTube video, and posting on Phoronix without X11 is quite another. I might post a summary of my impressions soon for those not brave enough (or unable) to try it for themselves.

Comment

Whoever came up with this distro is a genious. Rebecca, ahh! Today is Sunday, tomorrow is Monday, and Tuesday comes afterwards. It's Friday friday omfg I'm gonna get kernel panic on friday friday.

Comment

I wanted to test it but baulked at downloading 1.8GB, way too big.

Comment

Working...
                              X