Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Jolla Brings Wayland Atop Android GPU Drivers

Jolla, the start-up company built around former Nokia N9 engineers developing the Sailfish OS for mobile phones, might be dating Wayland. Jolla's Chief Research Engineer has made it possible to run Wayland atop Android GPU drivers. Additionally, it's being done with glibc rather than Android's Bionic libc derivative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

probably wrong but feels a bit that Mir was the wakeup call that Wayland needed. Now keep the momentum

Comment

This means: the only legitimate reason to support Mir has disappeared overnight.

This also proves that real phone hackers will always overperform reconverted Linux packagers. These guys have a Linux phone that managed to sell 5 million units with no support, versus Ubuntu, that has nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
        This means: the only legitimate reason to support Mir has disappeared overnight.
        My thoughts exactly. Why did they even create Mir, if it was that easy to make wayland run on android drivers also?

Comment

"Earlier this year however, I discovered that a well-known company had taken the code - disappeared underground with it for several months, improved upon it, utilized the capability in their advertisements and demos and in the end posted the code utilizing their own source control system, detached from any state of that of the upstream project's. Even to the extent some posters around the web thought libhybris was done by that company itself." - or how to pull a Canonical. ROFL.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            My thoughts exactly. Why did they even create Mir, if it was that easy to make wayland run on android drivers also?
            On several occasions one or two Mir main developers stated they didn't participate in the decision to create Mir. And Mir is developed under CLA and GPLv3(fact: a lot of companies avoid GPLv3 in their products or simply ban it).

<tinfoil> I bet the reasons aren't technical at all. They want control and a restrictive license, so they can sell proprietary licenses to manufacturers. Google sells services and Canonical sells proprietary license to GLPv3 code. </tinfoil>

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
              probably wrong but feels a bit that Mir was the wakeup call that Wayland needed. Now keep the momentum
              You need to read the blog post. This is the guy who developed the android interface that Mir is using. And it was not intended for Mir, Canonical just forked it without even telling him. This was not a brilliant move by Canonical at all, as always is was someone else's work, but as always people assume it was Canonical's because Canonical doesn't go out of their way to give credit to those who actually do the work.

To put it another way: the only reason to use Mir never existed to begin with, and the Mir developers knew it from the moment they started using this library.

Comment

That article really made me laugh. Canonical is just pathetic.

Comment

That's it, it's decided, my next phone will run Sailfish

Comment

Getting unified Android/Linux/ChromeOS drivers would be ideal, whoever manages to bring us that. It should've been Google's project from day one of Android, but I guess it wasn't their priority, which is too bad because that has led to some of the biggest fragmentation issues of Android.

Comment

Working...
                    X