Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP Back-End Merged For Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: RDP Back-End Merged For Wayland's Weston

One month ago a FreeRDP-based remote compositor for Wayland's Weston was proposed. Now having undergone six code revisions, the Weston Remote Desktop Protocol back-end has been merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic news

Serious nerdgasm, I can't wait to try this out. +1000XP for Wayland, no points for Mir.

Comment

This feature alone (if implemented in a reasonably fast way) would increase my use of Linux on the Desktop by a gazillion times... It would be so cool to be able to open a Linux Desktop from anywhere...

VNC's performance is seriously lacking, X11 redirection is weird and not for Windows or iPad users..
      A really usable Remote Desktop solution would change the world for me.

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
        This feature alone (if implemented in a reasonably fast way) would increase my use of Linux on the Desktop by a gazillion times... It would be so cool to be able to open a Linux Desktop from anywhere...

VNC's performance is seriously lacking, X11 redirection is weird and not for Windows or iPad users..
        A really usable Remote Desktop solution would change the world for me.
        Sorry to necro the thread, bu NX is also a solution. Sadly, the open source freenx and neatx are no longer mantained, and there's no viable android or iOS clients, but the system still works well at the moment, even if it seems it will probably suffer from future bitrot.

Comment

I would be interested in Miracast, which is a standard for screen sharing over wifi. With it being a standard part of android now, it looks like a lot of TVs will start implementing built-on support for it, and there already quite a few devices that can be plugged into a TV to add support.

Unfortunately besides the video side it also requires wifi direct, which in turns requires wps, neither of which networkmanager supports (nor is there any indication they plan to support it at all).

Comment

RDP-compositor

Has anyone managed to make that new rdp-backend run and connect to it from another computer? So far I have compiled weston with --enable-rdp-compositor option and fixed a few linking problems in the meantime. However, when I try to run weston, it's log contains the following:

[11:00:11.282] Failed to lookup init function: /home/mr2/install/lib/weston/rdp-backend.so: undefined symbol: module_init

Has anyone had the same problem?

Comment

Working...
            X