Why Wayland & Weston Were Forked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
    You're one to speak... Listen, when you've done even 1/10th as much for Free Software as the X.Org devs, you might have a case, until then... keep your mouth shut and bend over for Shuttleworth.
    Ooooh, sensing butthurt in here. Go back to kindergarten, basement dweller

Comment

• Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
      Ooooh, sensing butthurt in here. Go back to kindergarten, basement dweller
      I'm glad this conversation is being conducted on a mature, adult level.

Comment

• Hi All,

Put it simple. If you fork the code and split off for any reasons then continue to aim for your respective goals and let the community at large decide on the better implementation when the time comes.

When it comes to FOSS we are a diverse and passionate group of individuals all with differing views and opinions and mankind has to learn to respect others views even though they might not respect your own.
        Prove you are right not through words but through your actions and in this case your better code and project design theories. As the old saying goes, " Action speaks louder than words".

Comment

• Originally posted by spstarr View Post
          I think some people are just too impatient and want their ideas implemented. I want Wayland protocol to be done right, not rushed like some.

I don't want another X protocol mess and it is VERY IMPORTANT we get this right and not screw up. X works right now and will continue to work. Wayland is our future to come and all these silly forks don't understand. Stop rushing the reference protocol implementation. I have full trust in the Wayland developers.
          According to the article, that's not the issue here. Northfield is an experimental project that focuses on Norwood and all the compositing capabilities that can be had by using the Wayland protocol. They don't want to rush the reference implementation or change the core protocol. They are just experimenting with a non-reference compositor. The rest of the changes are supposed to be just temporary measures to go around some technical limitations in Wayland, before the official versions of the changes are implemented. The main technical problem that Wayland developers have with this is that most of the workarounds shouldn't actually be necessary in the first place. The fact that they are trying to create another compositor itself is fine and a good thing.

Comment

• Technical filter

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            I'm glad this conversation is being conducted on a mature, adult level.
            It would be nice if one day someone could come up with a communication medium that automatically filters-in only technical discussion and filters-out the rest.

Comment

• I'm having horrible Compiz flashbacks here. Maybe someone will take the time to port any of soreau's changes back to something wayland compatible to show he is doing unneeded work and he'll give up on the fork just like what happened there.

Comment

• I thought the point of FOSS was that if any single individual decided they wanted to fork a project and take it on their own adventure, they could. Regardless of whatever lack of social tact Mr. Moreau may have, I don't really see the point of getting butt hurt about him deciding to take everything lock stock and barrel and fork. One of the projects will ultimately produce the better product. May the best ideas win.

Comment

• Originally posted by akincer View Post
                  I thought the point of FOSS was that if any single individual decided they wanted to fork a project and take it on their own adventure, they could. Regardless of whatever lack of social tact Mr. Moreau may have, I don't really see the point of getting butt hurt about him deciding to take everything lock stock and barrel and fork. One of the projects will ultimately produce the better product. May the best ideas win.
                  He is free to fork but that doesn't mean everyone has to like the idea or just ignore what he says about it.

Comment

• Why don't you all just go bite yourselves and watch the snow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Amaranth View Post
                      He is free to fork but that doesn't mean everyone has to like the idea or just ignore what he says about it.
                      If they did ignore it, then this thread wouldn't exist.

It just seems silly to me for them to get upset about the fork.

Comment

• Originally posted by akincer View Post
                        If they did ignore it, then this thread wouldn't exist.

It just seems silly to me for them to get upset about the fork.
                        Just like with Mir, they were caught with their pants down. All this Wayland hype seems to be like a card haus.

Comment

• Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
                          Just like with Mir, they were caught with their pants down. All this Wayland hype seems to be like a card haus.
                          Wayland has:
                          - functional display server
                          - functional reference compositor
                          - backing of all major toolkits, of which gtk and efl already have working wayland support
                          - backing of almost all major desktops
                          - backing of all major distros except ubuntu

Mir has:
                          - umm... Shuttleworth said it's gonna be really cool and stuff!

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
                            - backing of all major toolkits, of which gtk and efl already have working wayland support
                            As well as Qt and Clutter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                              It would be nice if one day someone could come up with a communication medium that automatically filters-in only technical discussion and filters-out the rest.
                              That's called competent moderation. For some reason it seems phoronix has taken a stance of almost non-existent moderation.

Comment

• Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                                That's called competent moderation. For some reason it seems phoronix has taken a stance of almost non-existent moderation.
                                To each their own. Phoronix seems to function mostly adequately even without moderation. For that matter, from what I've seen, the best kind of moderation is usually when moderators don't butt in too easily. Getting too anxious about moderation easily leads into moderator power trips, it's just human nature...

Comment

Working...
                                X