Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTK+ 3.8.0 Supports Wayland 1.0, Better Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GTK+ 3.8.0 Supports Wayland 1.0, Better Performance

    Phoronix: GTK+ 3.8.0 Supports Wayland 1.0, Better Performance

    GTK+ 3.8.0 has been released ahead of this week's GNOME 3.8 desktop release. GTK+ 3.8 supports the Wayland 1.0 protocol, provides Broadway HTML5 server advancements, performance improvements, and much more...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzNjA

  • #2
    What is the "frame synchronization protocol"?

    Have they included the GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE extension?

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope this can be seen as a milestone to start develop wayland compatible apps. It has been a long time coming, but it seems someone should make the push so we can finally ditch X.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        I hope this can be seen as a milestone to start develop wayland compatible apps. It has been a long time coming, but it seems someone should make the push so we can finally ditch X.
        Rather leave X alone, as its staying for a long time to come..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by portets43 View Post
          What is the "frame synchronization protocol"?
          http://fishsoup.net/misc/wm-spec-synchronization.html (see this blog post http://blog.fishsoup.net/2012/11/28/...frame-display/ for why it is needed).

          Have they included the GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE extension?
          GTK does not render using OpenGL, but yes we added support for GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE / EGL_EXT_BUFFER_AGE to clutter and cogl.
          Which means on supported drivers you have no tearing and improved performance when running clutter apps (like gnome-shell).

          Comment


          • #6
            I hope they finally made 3.8 backwards compatible with 3.6 themes

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by portets43 View Post
              What is the "frame synchronization protocol"?

              Have they included the GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE extension?
              The protocol refers to the communication that occurs between WM and client. Specifically, the app will tell the compositor when it is finished with its buffer (no partially drawn frames), and the compositor will let the app know when it is drawing too fast for the compositor (save energy). That's my understanding.

              I've found no mention in the mutter git of them making use of that glx extension.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by liam View Post
                I've found no mention in the mutter git of them making use of that glx extension.
                As I said above we use cogl and clutter to abstract away opengl / glx / egl so you'd have to look there:

                https://git.gnome.org/browse/cogl/co...d=427b1038051e
                https://git.gnome.org/browse/cogl/commit/?id=92d869764c
                https://git.gnome.org/browse/clutter.../?id=b9ad93ad8

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wayland

                  Looking forward to the improved Wayland support.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    I hope this can be seen as a milestone to start develop wayland compatible apps. It has been a long time coming, but it seems someone should make the push so we can finally ditch X.
                    You must be using open source gpu drivers, because those of us who aren't won't be able to ditch X until AMD and nvidia get their acts together.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      You must be using open source gpu drivers, because those of us who aren't won't be able to ditch X until AMD and nvidia get their acts together.
                      I think Nvidia is implementing EGL or OpenGL ES in their proprietary driver, then I think maybe Wayland will work with the proprietary drivers too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                        I think Nvidia is implementing EGL or OpenGL ES in their proprietary driver, then I think maybe Wayland will work with the proprietary drivers too.
                        If memory serves, Wayland needs an EGL extension, so Wayland will work with NVidia's EGL implementation only if NVidia adds this extension.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                          http://fishsoup.net/misc/wm-spec-synchronization.html (see this blog post http://blog.fishsoup.net/2012/11/28/...frame-display/ for why it is needed).



                          GTK does not render using OpenGL, but yes we added support for GLX_EXT_BUFFER_AGE / EGL_EXT_BUFFER_AGE to clutter and cogl.
                          Which means on supported drivers you have no tearing and improved performance when running clutter apps (like gnome-shell).
                          Yes, thanks. Been looking everywhere(I guess all the wrong places) for that info.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                            Rather leave X alone, as its staying for a long time to come..
                            Only for applications that won't be ported to Wayland anytime soon. KDE and Gnome should work without X quite soon. X is as good as dead.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                              X is as good as dead.
                              * Bookmark * > Jokes

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X