Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

    Phoronix: Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

    The latest coverage of today's surprise announcement of Canonical developing Mir, their own display server for Ubuntu, is information on building and running the Mir display server with the code they open-sourced today. There's also a Phoronix video showcasing the (sad) state of the Mir client demo...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNzg

  • #2
    This is just embarrassing to watch.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think we are supposed to watch it and/or comment it.
      this is canonical's property.

      all jokes aside, the joke that has been going for years that ubuntu is not linux but windows due to the easy way of doing things, now I realize that linux and ubuntu are 2 separate meanings. I don't know why those antics are happening with the display servers, but I know that we were eating from the same soup and now we are spooning each others' eyes.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just don't get it. How did with people no experience in this stuff make their own display server? Is it a fork of Android's SurfaceFlinger has orginally rumored?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CTown View Post
          I just don't get it. How did with people no experience in this stuff make their own display server? Is it a fork of Android's SurfaceFlinger has orginally rumored?
          Based on this I would say they have not built much of anything.

          Comment


          • #6
            TBH

            Even if it is fun to bash I truly think that Canonical wouldn't waste time on something they didn't thought was mandatory for the evolution of Ubuntu, yes, it is not helping neither X or Wayland developers and it looks like the TO-DO list is longer then the "done" one, but again, Canonical isn't playing around and we all saw it with Steam and Ubuntu phone, I say, lets wait & see
            Last edited by ba7a7chy; 03-05-2013, 12:07 AM. Reason: typos

            Comment


            • #7
              Canonical/Ubuntu are doing everything they can to make success, which will flow onto the broader Linux community. I hope people get behind them as they plan to take on most devices and computing with their plans.

              Regarding implementing the feature, most of the work is done in other project, they simply need to adapt it to suit Mir's structure.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                Canonical/Ubuntu are doing everything they can to make success, which will flow onto the broader Linux community. I hope people get behind them as they plan to take on most devices and computing with their plans.
                What does Ubuntu phone offer over Android? How does giving the finger to standards and not contributing anything upstream help the "broader Linux community"? How does making things more difficult for other distributions help? I know people can be bastards at times and beat things up unfairly, but this is not one of those cases. This is not the time for these kinds of apologists. This is flat out the wrong way of doing things, and I will not support it. Not that I have ever used Ubuntu anyway...

                This sounds like the sham of "trickle down" economics all over again.
                Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 03-05-2013, 12:40 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  April Fools?

                  Did someone release the joke a month early?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Okay guys, just because they think they have good reasons for it doesn't make Canonical right. They're taking a huge risk for us, and this is why it's so unsafe to have a 'flagship' Linux distro. In light of these events, I think it would be important to bolster the strength and usability of the alternatives, like openSuSE and Fedora. Unfortunately, aside from the DEs, their user experiences seem to be even more misguided than Ubuntu's, albeit compatible.

                    We need an Ubuntu-killer, as well as Ubuntu.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                      Okay guys, just because they think they have good reasons for it doesn't make Canonical right. They're taking a huge risk for us, and this is why it's so unsafe to have a 'flagship' Linux distro. In light of these events, I think it would be important to bolster the strength and usability of the alternatives, like openSuSE and Fedora. Unfortunately, aside from the DEs, their user experiences seem to be even more misguided than Ubuntu's, albeit compatible.

                      We need an Ubuntu-killer, as well as Ubuntu.
                      Care to explain just what is misguided about openSUSE's user experience?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ..it will be a miracle if Mir is ready for all form factors in a production environment by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS next year.
                        I think they'll dump Mir into 14.04 in whatever state it is by then. I still remember the 11.04 release with that horrible wacky Unity version with black background, later some dev from Canonical acknowledged they just dumped their latest snapshot of Unity onto users and called it "stable" and subject for further improvement.

                        So 14.04 won't be LTS, but rather TSR (the shitty release), and 16.04 should be good enough, that is true LTS.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                          I think they'll dump Mir into 14.04 in whatever state it is by then. I still remember the 11.04 release with that horrible wacky Unity version with black background, later some dev from Canonical acknowledged they just dumped their latest snapshot of Unity onto users and called it "stable" and subject for further improvement.

                          So 14.04 won't be LTS, but rather TSR (the shitty release), and 16.04 should be good enough, that is true LTS.
                          You really think 3 years will be enough time for them to get their act together in working order? particularly given Wayland has taken 5 and is still not really ready....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why is wayland not good anymore for their needs?

                            On the other hand it is a huge benefit to be compatible with android drivers. I wonder how much they have to pay in features/performance for using an older design instead of something like wayland? Or maybe this turns out to be better than wayland? At least canonical has resources to spill into this project.
                            Last edited by varikonniemi; 03-05-2013, 02:50 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                              I really don't get what canonical is doing. Why is wayland not good anymore for their needs? Wayland should be perfect for their phone/tv/tablet needs?
                              I think nobody but Canonical really gets what they're doing. I mean they make complaints about wayland but other than the initial announcement it's sounding like they never even actually talked to the wayland people, and the wayland people have disproven everything that has been brought up by Canonical so far as merely FUD by people who don't understand wayland, or X for that matter.. and yeah... The general conclusion seems to be that Canonical is doing it because it gives them control of the Display Server..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X