Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

Phoronix: Building & Running The Ubuntu Mir Display Server

The latest coverage of today's surprise announcement of Canonical developing Mir, their own display server for Ubuntu, is information on building and running the Mir display server with the code they open-sourced today. There's also a Phoronix video showcasing the (sad) state of the Mir client demo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is just embarrassing to watch.

Comment

I don't think we are supposed to watch it and/or comment it.
      this is canonical's property.

all jokes aside, the joke that has been going for years that ubuntu is not linux but windows due to the easy way of doing things, now I realize that linux and ubuntu are 2 separate meanings. I don't know why those antics are happening with the display servers, but I know that we were eating from the same soup and now we are spooning each others' eyes.

Comment

I just don't get it. How did with people no experience in this stuff make their own display server? Is it a fork of Android's SurfaceFlinger has orginally rumored?

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
          I just don't get it. How did with people no experience in this stuff make their own display server? Is it a fork of Android's SurfaceFlinger has orginally rumored?
          Based on this I would say they have not built much of anything.

Comment

TBH

Even if it is fun to bash I truly think that Canonical wouldn't waste time on something they didn't thought was mandatory for the evolution of Ubuntu, yes, it is not helping neither X or Wayland developers and it looks like the TO-DO list is longer then the "done" one, but again, Canonical isn't playing around and we all saw it with Steam and Ubuntu phone, I say, lets wait & see
            Last edited by ba7a7chy; 05 March 2013, 01:07 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Canonical/Ubuntu are doing everything they can to make success, which will flow onto the broader Linux community. I hope people get behind them as they plan to take on most devices and computing with their plans.

Regarding implementing the feature, most of the work is done in other project, they simply need to adapt it to suit Mir's structure.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                Canonical/Ubuntu are doing everything they can to make success, which will flow onto the broader Linux community. I hope people get behind them as they plan to take on most devices and computing with their plans.
                What does Ubuntu phone offer over Android? How does giving the finger to standards and not contributing anything upstream help the "broader Linux community"? How does making things more difficult for other distributions help? I know people can be bastards at times and beat things up unfairly, but this is not one of those cases. This is not the time for these kinds of apologists. This is flat out the wrong way of doing things, and I will not support it. Not that I have ever used Ubuntu anyway...

This sounds like the sham of "trickle down" economics all over again.
                Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 05 March 2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

April Fools?

Did someone release the joke a month early?

Comment

Okay guys, just because they think they have good reasons for it doesn't make Canonical right. They're taking a huge risk for us, and this is why it's so unsafe to have a 'flagship' Linux distro. In light of these events, I think it would be important to bolster the strength and usability of the alternatives, like openSuSE and Fedora. Unfortunately, aside from the DEs, their user experiences seem to be even more misguided than Ubuntu's, albeit compatible.

We need an Ubuntu-killer, as well as Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X