Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 13.04 Enables The Wayland Support For GTK+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 13.04 Enables The Wayland Support For GTK+

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 Enables The Wayland Support For GTK+

    While in December Canonical said they wouldn't fix GTK+ support for Wayland, earlier this month they decided they would enable the Wayland back-end for GTK+ in Ubuntu 13.04. That change has now been made and Ubuntu's GTK+ tool-kit will function in a Wayland environment...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NDg

  • #2
    I launched weston, opened a terminal, exported GDK_BACKEND=wayland
    and tried running gedit, gcalc, gnome-terminal, they all fail with segmentation fault.
    Used 13.04 amd64.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I launched weston, opened a terminal, exported GDK_BACKEND=wayland
      and tried running gedit, gcalc, gnome-terminal, they all fail with segmentation fault.
      Used 13.04 amd64.
      Perhaps you have to wait a little. The fix was released just 22 hours ago. Make sure you have gtk version 3.6.4-0ubuntu2.

      Comment


      • #4
        Firefox and Chromium does not work because they use old GTK2.
        Firefox is in progress of being ported to GTK3 tho.
        https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

        gedit and gnome-terminal doesn't work when launching straight, but they do work if you run them via 'dbus-launch', such as 'dbus-launch gedit'.
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1106158

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Firefox and Chromium does not work because they use old GTK2.
          Firefox is in progress of being ported to GTK3 tho.

          Launchpad comment: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...52/comments/94
          I find it odd that these are explicitly mentioned in the bug report. Of course they don't work, because they use GTK2. However, isn't xwayland supposed to pick this up??

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313
            Firefox is in progress of being ported to GTK3 tho.
            Won't it make it incompatible with Windows and OS X?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Won't it make it incompatible with Windows and OS X?
              Nope, because Firefox doesn't use GTK on Windows or OS X. GTK is just for us Linux users (including BSD, Solaris, etc I think..)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Firefox and Chromium does not work because they use old GTK2.
                Firefox is in progress of being ported to GTK3 tho.
                Firefox also has direct calls to X in it as well - and I'm guessing Chromium probably has some too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Firefox also has direct calls to X in it as well - and I'm guessing Chromium probably has some too.
                  Google wants to mitigate all this by porting Chromium to OpenGL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For applications not ported yet to just use libWayland instead of Xlib, how does one run them under Weston, using a Xorg server inside weston?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X