Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compiz Will Not Be Ported To Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    I think the worst part is we reinvent the wheel (compositors, audio engines, text editors, terminals, etc) without making one sony vegas quality non-linear video editor, not keeping GIMP up to snuff against photoshop, not making sure Blender is better than Maya, and not keeping any of the dozens of FOSS game engines up to snuff against competitors like Unreal 3.

    Too much effort is put into repeating the same work on the same things that, albeit, are essential to the desktop experience, but there is a significant lack of end-user products that can compete and draw new recruits to Linux space instead of everyone just sitting on Windows due to software.
    thank you for getting and belaboring my point... It's like Linux people are afflicted with some disease ... or maybe just afflicted with a lack of strong leadership. But when there's nothing to lose and everything's "free", why would anyone want to give up being right about their pet store implementation being 'the right/best' one....

    God help the Linux movement!

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      thank you for getting and belaboring my point... It's like Linux people are afflicted with some disease ... or maybe just afflicted with a lack of strong leadership.
      Well, duh... of course there's no strong leadership - there's no organisation for them to lead. There's no such thing as Linux people, no great collective of developers. Just a bunch of individuals doing whatever interest them...

      Comment


      • #23
        It's kinda the same on Windows also. There are 400 million different applications that all do the same thing.

        Granted there is usually one that is a cut above the rest... but a lot of times those are coming from a corporation.

        Comment


        • #24
          the problem is that windows is like a petri dish for developers, while Linux distros are on of the worse platforms to develop for. there are no IDEs on par with Visual Studio or XCode and the base OS is fragmented between different glibc, gcc, kernel and x.org versions. the result is that it is more work to publish an app for Linux, than for Windows or OS X.

          Comment


          • #25
            True, but the best solution there is to target a specific distro (and version). There really is nothing wrong with doing that, although many people will squeal.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by garegin View Post
              the problem is that windows is like a petri dish for developers, while Linux distros are on of the worse platforms to develop for. there are no IDEs on par with Visual Studio or XCode and the base OS is fragmented between different glibc, gcc, kernel and x.org versions. the result is that it is more work to publish an app for Linux, than for Windows or OS X.
              I actually don't like Visual Studio at all; (never used XCode) I would take QtCreator any day. You really don't need to worry much about glibc, gcc, kernel, or x.org versions for 99% of software, as 99% of software doesn't use x calls, kernel calls (especially new ones) things that are specefic to a gcc version (are there such things?) and glibc is just a standard c library. I find that publishing for linux is dead simple.

              Comment


              • #27
                I find that publishing for linux is dead simple.
                keep thinking that.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by garegin View Post
                  keep thinking that.
                  It is that simple.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    I do have to wonder how many people who are complaining about the "Fragmentation" for development are actually developers... as I'm hearing a lot of lack of clue from that side here...

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
                      I actually don't like Visual Studio at all; (never used XCode) I would take QtCreator any day. You really don't need to worry much about glibc, gcc, kernel, or x.org versions for 99% of software, as 99% of software doesn't use x calls, kernel calls (especially new ones) things that are specefic to a gcc version (are there such things?) and glibc is just a standard c library. I find that publishing for linux is dead simple.
                      I want to reaffirm this, I much prefer QTCreator / MonoDevelop to VisualStudio / Xcode. Those latter two are slow as shit bloated messes that always crash when I use em.

                      And Linux as a platform is much nicer to develop for too because you can get almost all the info you need in the filesystem. In Windows you are stuck using WIN32_FUCKYOU_CAPSLOCKFUNC55(STUFF, STUFF, WHAT, MORE USELESS STUFF, WELCOME TO 1985), or WinRT if you really are masochistic.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X