Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

    Phoronix: Canonical "Won't Fix" GTK+ Wayland For Ubuntu

    While there has been a Wayland back-end within GTK+ 3.x, Canonical won't be enabling the Wayland support within their GTK+ tool-kit package anytime soon...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI1NTI

  • #2
    It would always have been difficult to get wayland into main as a build dep of GTK, but it really won't be possible to have GTK+ depending on wayland.
    Why, what's so horrible about it? Need more space? The guy says "no" with such emphasis as if he's asked to sign the devil's contract.

    Canonical was in favor of Wayland in 2010 but now they won't even commit to putting a wayland related flag into the compilation process, not to mention significant contribution to Wayland like patches or so. Making their iso grow from like 780 to 785MB is way over the top?
    Last edited by mark45; 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Why, what's so horrible about it? Need more space? The guy says "no" with such emphasis as if he's asked to sign the devil's contract.

      Canonical was in favor of Wayland in 2010 but now they won't even commit to putting a wayland related flag into the compilation process, not to mention significant contribution to Wayland like patches or so. Making their iso grow from like 780 to 785MB is way over the top?


      Not even that, we're talking about a few hundred kilobytes here. They don't need weston as a depend, they only need the wayland libraries to satisfy the wayland library dependancies in GTK!

      Comment


      • #4
        Use QT then.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Use QT then.
          Problem is this is about the desktop Linux, which pretty much equals Ubuntu which pretty much equals Gtk, like it or not. I (have to) use Gtk only because of this, otherwise I'd be using/programming QT. I think nerdopolis has the same reason.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            I (have to) use Gtk only because of this, otherwise I'd be using/programming QT
            Reason? If anyone is talking about cross-platform high quality code my immediate first suggestion is QT. What makes you / your projects so special that it NEEDS to be GTK?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              Problem is this is about the desktop Linux, which pretty much equals Ubuntu...
              Not in my mind it doesn't.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Use QT then.
                Is Qt different in that regard? I don't think so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As people said in other threads, it's "Qt" and not "QT".

                  Overall I'd really like to make my projects use Qt, but the thing is that Qt is a C++ library and it does not play that well with C code, and C is still the most popular language (and I generally dislike C++ for its clunky syntax). It doesn't play well with D, either, since the Qt bindings for D project has gone stagnant for some reason. But GTK is C and is well supported by D as well. So even though I'm a KDE user, I'm forced to use GTK at this point...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
                    Is Qt different in that regard? I don't think so.
                    Yes, Qt is different in that regard. You can use the qtwayland plugin with an already compiled version of Qt 5.x.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Reason? If anyone is talking about cross-platform high quality code my immediate first suggestion is QT. What makes you / your projects so special that it NEEDS to be GTK?
                      Reason - I don't do cross platform, I do Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is about Gtk. Qt for Ubuntu is an afterthought, especially after they declared Kubuntu a community project, it was never as polished as Ubuntu anyway.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                        Not even that, we're talking about a few hundred kilobytes here. They don't need weston as a depend, they only need the wayland libraries to satisfy the wayland library dependancies in GTK!
                        They still would need to add wayland to main, put it on the CD, and make it mandatory for anyone who plans to use anything related to Gtk.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                          They still would need to add wayland to main, put it on the CD, and make it mandatory for anyone who plans to use anything related to Gtk.
                          no, you can switch backends, to have the GTK libs run under Wayland or X11... You can specify the backend with the GDK_BACKEND variable.

                          And you don't need a wayland display server, you just need the core wayland libraries. I guess the issue with the GTK backends is that it's not truly modular, and it needs to load the dependancies for all compiled in backends at run time, instead of just loading the specified backend like QT...

                          ...but the dependancies really are not that much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sure they don't contribute to some projects in the open - they prefer to modify stuff in their own forks to avoid other benefiting from their enhancements.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't see any problem with the decision at this time. Wayland is not mature or ready for general consumption in any way, so why should they ship GTK with Wayland support? The very few users that like to experiment with Wayland just need to compile/install a Wayland-capable build of GTK. No big deal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X