Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.0 Officially Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.0 Officially Released

Wayland 1.0 along with the reference Weston 1.0 reference compositor were officially released on Monday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    There is no God. If this shit takes off linux desktop will be dead.
    Michael, you need to add voting so I can +1 these sorts of awesome comments! Bonus points if you add categories, then I could "+1, Troll" this.

Comment

*ignoring troll*

However, if "enduser" listens to "expert" and "expert" states "release annoucement dull", then "enduser" is likely to adopt that. Please don`t do that. If they don`t have a mind, you might aswell say it is "exhilataring beyond belief", and the real experts who make this stuff will have a better time.

Comment

Everybody will be crying in pain when nothing will work any longer mark my words
        Sometimes change is painful, but necessary.

Officially, welcome Wayland!

Comment

Yeah you think I'm trolling but let's wait two Ubuntu versions until they make Wayland mandatory and get rid of Xorg. Everybody will be crying in pain when nothing will work any longer mark my words.
          Like they made Unit... Oh wait, you can still remove it. "Crying in pain" .. xD lol
          Plus, what will we do without the tearing? They'll remove that feature too from Linux. Among many other things. :|

Ubuntu is well known for using stuff that isn't anywhere near stable, or usable, or anything remotely decent.
          Wait, isn't that Arch and Fedora? I am missing things lately, and I wanted to reinstall Arch to try all the new/unstable/unusable things more easily .. Better stay on Ubuntu you say?

Comment

Yeah you think I'm trolling
            Yes. Yes we do.

Comment

Not trying to troll and I welcome new solutions but as it stands Wayland doesn't look like its at a v1.0 state yet.

Comment

and the Nvidia propietary drivers? (for example). is compatible with wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                  Not trying to troll and I welcome new solutions but as it stands Wayland doesn't look like its at a v1.0 state yet.
                  the versioning is completely irrelevant. apt is still 0.x, even though it would be considered extremely mature.

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
                    and the Nvidia propietary drivers? (for example). is compatible with wayland?
                    Of course not, the protocol just became stable TODAY. GTK, EFL, QT, and KDE can all work on Wayland support because of the "scratch your own itch" nature of OSS. Nvidia and AMD arent going to spend money on developers to make their drivers Wayland compatible when they may have to turn around and redo all of it the next day.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X