Wayland 1.0 Stable Release Is Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
    Sooo, if I understand it correctly this is an Intel project. And from NVidia & ATI (AMD) PR we will never see blobs supporting this...
    Nah, they'll both support it in a year or two (or 3). They just haven't publicly committed to a date yet, but it's coming.

So my question is: How will it work lets say with Ubuntu 13.10 and AMD 7XXX GPUs? Will I be forced to use the OSS drivers, or is there some backwards compatibility in this with X.org? I'm asking because I want to buy a new GPU (AMD Dual Graphics maybe) and I would like to keep them using even on 13.10, 14.04 etc....
    X is still going to stick around for a long time, and be fully supported by distros. They can't just get rid of it, for backwards compatibility reasons. Qt5 and GTK3 apps will run just as easily on either Wayland or X, so even though the protocol itself isn't backwards compatible with X the toolkits will be.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 22 September 2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

And from NVidia & ATI (AMD) PR we will never see blobs supporting this...
      Nobody said that: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE2MjY

So my question is: How will it work lets say with Ubuntu 13.10 and AMD 7XXX GPUs? Will I be forced to use the OSS drivers, or is there some backwards compatibility in this with X.org?
      You simply use Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Cloned screens should be extremely simple in Wayland - you already have everything in a texture, so you just have to display that same texture on the other output screen. He's just not interested in adding that feature into Weston, but obviously Kwin, Mutter, and Compiz will.
        Makes no sense to leave that feature to the compositor. That's basic hardware handling and belongs into lower levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          You are severely mistaken: Wayland is and has been for a long time developed by Intel and Collabora among other companies commercially.Kristian H?gsberg works on Wayland for Intel for example.
          He is the one guy I mentioned.

Who else works on Wayland full-time?

It's a research thing, at least for now.

Comment

I'm guessing which DE is the first fully "Waylanded" one.
            Maybe E17?
            Sooo, if I understand it correctly this is an Intel project. And from NVidia & ATI (AMD) PR we will never see blobs supporting this...

So my question is: How will it work lets say with Ubuntu 13.10 and AMD 7XXX GPUs? Will I be forced to use the OSS drivers, or is there some backwards compatibility in this with X.org? I'm asking because I want to buy a new GPU (AMD Dual Graphics maybe) and I would like to keep them using even on 13.10, 14.04 etc....
            Xorg backwork compatibility is done through launching an embedded Xorg in a Wayland server, however, you still can't use blobs esp. when they have no idea about Wayland.

For the choice of GPUs AFAIK Intel's are the best choice, no matter the compatibility or the performance (if you do not want blobs), maybe you need a new CPU rather than a GPU

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              He is the one guy I mentioned.

Who else works on Wayland full-time?

Tiago Vignati is also an intel dev that works on Wayland. Pekka also works on it for Colabora. Guys at Openismus do text stuff that i have no idea what they do. Qt people from Nokia (now digia probably) do stuff with it. Tizen people want it. Canonical will use it in a while and contributed some code.

And there are many more probably.

Yeah its jjust research.

PS.

I also bet on E17 for First on WL
              Last edited by 89c51; 22 September 2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                On top of what 89c51 said; It's pretty cool for "research project" to be supported by upstream Qt, GTK+, Clutter, SDL, EFL... Not to mention the intrest from the developers of various open source projects like Compiz and KWin. It's also already used by Tizen and some other embedded systems.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  Yeah so it brings nothing new for the user, -- It already works well enough for the users.
                  I have flicker at boot up, tearing when watching videos, lag with animations, breakage when resizing windows, bad performance under compositing... X.org doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                    I have flicker at boot up, tearing when watching videos, lag with animations, breakage when resizing windows, bad performance under compositing... X.org doesn't work.
                    Who needs all that shit. Are you mad.

What linux needs is a terminal and vim or emacs. Nothing more. If linux gets something more than that then Microsoft wins.

+Lennart Poettering (he has no relation to wayland but is the root of all evil so we can blame him and for wayland)

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Yeah so it brings nothing new for the user, only for devs, and the first users who will try it will get burned because it's buggy and incomplete and they'll tell everybody else that it sucks so that everybody else shouldn't try it and Wayland will wither away and die a well deserved death because it brings nothing to the table. All hail Xorg!!! See this is why Xorg will remain king. It already works well enough for the users. Users don't care about developers so they have no reason to switch!
                      Yep. This is why today, we still use Motif for everything, as it offers all a user needs in terms of graphical interfaces.

Comment

Working...
                      X