Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

    Phoronix: Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

    Kristian Høgsberg just finished speaking at this year's GStreamer Conference behind held in San Diego, California. Kristian was talking about the forthcoming Wayland 1.0 release and Wayland's hardware-accelerated video playback support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE3MTE

  • #2
    Phoronix - 99% links to itself.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Phoronix - 99% links to itself.

      Agree It's very annoying

      Comment


      • #4
        Anyone else notice Kristian is actually using Wayland to give the presentation?

        Comment


        • #5
          usually in a mac vm. to rub the salt in the wound that the linux desktop is 20 years of fail.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Phoronix - 99% links to itself.
            More than that... I love his "first to publicly mention the project" line. Really - the project was a complete secret before Phoronix discovered it, never spoken of by the developers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              More than that... I love his "first to publicly mention the project" line. Really - the project was a complete secret before Phoronix discovered it, never spoken of by the developers?
              I'll be honest with you, I've used Linux for years, and I never heard of Wayland until it was mentioned on Phoronix. In fact, there have been many interesting projects, Linux news and more that I first heard about on Phoronix (ie. the Kernel power bugs, etc). I don't have time to trawl through hundreds of private e-mail lists and read thousands of messages. I'm grateful that Phoronix does the dirty work for me, and lets me just read the interesting bits.

              Comment


              • #8
                @ asdx. if you relax for a minute you'll see that I was not spreading FUD against linux. i was pointing out the embarrassing detail that at these presentations many of the people run the demo in a vm on mac. like the brtfs video. if you want to promote a product you don't run it in a vm on your "enemy's" OS.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gururise View Post
                  I'll be honest with you, I've used Linux for years, and I never heard of Wayland until it was mentioned on Phoronix. In fact, there have been many interesting projects, Linux news and more that I first heard about on Phoronix (ie. the Kernel power bugs, etc). I don't have time to trawl through hundreds of private e-mail lists and read thousands of messages. I'm grateful that Phoronix does the dirty work for me, and lets me just read the interesting bits.
                  Oh, I won't deny the site has done a lot to publicise Wayland, especially in the early days. But the idea that Michael was the *first* person to publicly mention the project? Claims like that are just silly and annoying...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    @ asdx. if you relax for a minute you'll see that I was not spreading FUD against linux. i was pointing out the embarrassing detail that at these presentations many of the people run the demo in a vm on mac. like the brtfs video. if you want to promote a product you don't run it in a vm on your "enemy's" OS.
                    That "Apple has released a nice product which is used by a large number of people in the linux community" is not embarrassing for linux developers. Having a linux supporter feel the need to publicly "pooh-pooh" a linux developer for using a Macbook to give a presentation... That's embarrassing.

                    It's not about beating Apple/MSFT. It's about delivering something special to the world. We've got phones, network equipment, telecom equipment, stock markets, automated factories, scientific establishments, and a tremendous number of enterprises and productivity users. The world runs linux, and they don't even know it.

                    SENT FROM MY IPHONE

                    F

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wayland architecture

                      So how does Wayland compare to rio (Plan 9 from Bell Labs), Quartz (OS X), Aero/DWM (Windows) ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by garegin View Post
                        usually in a mac vm. to rub the salt in the wound that the linux desktop is 20 years of fail.
                        There are no BLACK mac laptops you fokin troll


                        btw what's with all the hate towards phoronix, let the guy autopromote himself all he wants... those mac retinas aren't gonna pay for themselves you know

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                          There are no BLACK mac laptops you fokin troll
                          You are wrong

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It's a Lenovo thinkpad running Weston with the DRM backend, on native Linux.

                            I'm sending this from a MacBook Air running Debian, again native and not under OS X at all. It runs either X11 or the Weston DRM backend.

                            Christ.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by daniels View Post
                              It's a Lenovo thinkpad running Weston with the DRM backend, on native Linux.

                              I'm sending this from a MacBook Air running Debian, again native and not under OS X at all. It runs either X11 or the Weston DRM backend.

                              Christ.
                              Writing Linux related code/apps on Mac OS X decreases the quality of code by 68.7%. Fact. And i have numbers to prove it.


                              On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X