Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.0 Coming "In A Month Or Two"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Wayland architecture

    So how does Wayland compare to rio (Plan 9 from Bell Labs), Quartz (OS X), Aero/DWM (Windows) ?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by garegin View Post
      usually in a mac vm. to rub the salt in the wound that the linux desktop is 20 years of fail.
      There are no BLACK mac laptops you fokin troll


      btw what's with all the hate towards phoronix, let the guy autopromote himself all he wants... those mac retinas aren't gonna pay for themselves you know

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        There are no BLACK mac laptops you fokin troll
        You are wrong

        Comment


        • #14
          It's a Lenovo thinkpad running Weston with the DRM backend, on native Linux.

          I'm sending this from a MacBook Air running Debian, again native and not under OS X at all. It runs either X11 or the Weston DRM backend.

          Christ.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by daniels View Post
            It's a Lenovo thinkpad running Weston with the DRM backend, on native Linux.

            I'm sending this from a MacBook Air running Debian, again native and not under OS X at all. It runs either X11 or the Weston DRM backend.

            Christ.
            Writing Linux related code/apps on Mac OS X decreases the quality of code by 68.7%. Fact. And i have numbers to prove it.


            On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??
              I do not believe so. Most DE's have their own compositor, so they will either need to port the DE to use Weston, or port their X11 compositor to Wayland.

              The DE wars appear to have taken such a toll on the FOSS ecosystem that I honestly cannot anticipate what will come of all of this.

              F

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Writing Linux related code/apps on Mac OS X decreases the quality of code by 68.7%. Fact. And i have numbers to prove it.


                On a serious note is there anything in wayland that prevents the porting of full DEs on it??
                Some GTK 3 apps run natively, (some segfault because they have some x11 stuff coded in the app)

                I was also able to get the KDELIBS frameworks samples to work on qt5 with the native Wayland backend (on the livecd) but I'm sure once I figure out how, I could complie kde-baseapps

                ...I think the biggest issue right now is I don't think all window managment features exist in Wayland/weston right now...

                EDIT: well the universal wlshm "driver" for the nested xwayland server could use some work, it's why xwayland apps appear glitchy
                Last edited by nerdopolis; 08-29-2012, 03:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                  ...I think the biggest issue right now is I don't think all window managment features exist in Wayland/weston right now...
                  Elaborate.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Elaborate.


                    I think things like raising/lowering keepabove/keepbehind and like focus prevention...

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Hell's gates will open in about 2 months I guess...Knowing Canonical we can expect Ubuntu 13.04 jump on wayland and make it mandatory and probably since 12.10 is coming in about 2 months we can expect even 12.10 to run wayland with about 2 hours of testing from the team.... A sad day indeed it will be, oh God of Wayland have mercy on us, the ones that don't want to reboot after an upgrade and stare into the black abyss of the terminal screen because of incompatible drivers and bugs!
                      Nono, you got it wrong, Ubuntu will remove terminals too in favor of Wayland. So if wayland fails, you don't get a text console even.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X