Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst Will Not Support Wayland Anytime Soon

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst Will Not Support Wayland Anytime Soon

Last week we heard news that NVIDIA is at least evaluating support for their binary graphics driver with Wayland, but on the AMD Catalyst binary driver side it doesn't look like they will be supporting the next-generation Linux display architecture "anytime soon", according to a reliable source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some people might disagree with me, but I don't really see this as shocking. Let's talk Wayland in Ubuntu terms:

Ubuntu 12.10: no Wayland
    Ubuntu 13.04: maybe some XWayland usage with open source drivers
    Ubuntu 13.10: now XWayland should definitly be included for open source drivers
    Ubuntu 14.04: no change because it's an LTS release
    Ubuntu 14.10: first possibility of using Wayland completely without Xorg (XWayland)

So it's not as if Wayland is just around the corner anyway. They will change their minds in a year or two.

Comment

one more reason they can go bankrupt for all I care

haswell + wayland = the win

Comment

I think it would be a HUGE mistake for AMD to support wayland through blob driver. Open source drivers are THE WAY to support Linux, and moving forward, should be the ONLY way. This will push a lot more people into the open source drivers and result in a more consistent and more functional experience.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          I think it would be a HUGE mistake for AMD to support wayland through blob driver. Open source drivers are THE WAY to support Linux, and moving forward, should be the ONLY way. This will push a lot more people into the open source drivers and result in a more consistent and more functional experience.
          This. Looking at the radeon driver, we'll get 2D acceleration, some OpenGL support and basic power saving that will sometimes work on 6 years old card by 2020. That is so the way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
            AMD not aggressively supporting Wayland isn't entirely surprising since new Linux-specific
            features to the Catalyst driver tend to come rather slow, even when it comes to supporting
            new Linux kernel and X.Org Server releases that generally require small modifications to
            support the new API/ABI. Generally this support doesn't come until the change is necessitated
            by Ubuntu or one of AMD's supported enterprise Linux distributions (i.e. Red Hat Enterprise Linux
            and SUSE Linux Enterprise).
            *mimimi*

Comment

As long as they fix a few issues with their Open driver (PM primarely and video decoding/encoding) i won't care if they never do TBH.

Comment

Non issue, who cares if AMD and Nvidia do not support vaporware?

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                  Non issue, who cares if AMD and Nvidia do not support vaporware?
                  I downloaded me some of that vapor and vaporized it into a usb key

I then booted into it just for sag and guess what?

the vapor came through

here check 4 oneself http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    This. Looking at the radeon driver, we'll get 2D acceleration, some OpenGL support and basic power saving that will sometimes work on 6 years old card by 2020. That is so the way to go...
                    It's astonishing that anybody would actually use a blob these days!

Comment

Working...
                    X