Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Support For Cursor Themes

Phoronix: Wayland Support For Cursor Themes

After several interesting news items in recent days about Wayland, the latest is that Wayland/Weston now has support for cursor themes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1OTA

I was getting worried that this critical feature was missing.

Comment

How about per users theme, one for me and one for mind blind grandmother.

Comment

Scaleable cursors

How about scaleable cursors for high-DPI displays?

Maybe that little raster graphics cursor works fine on a 72 dpi display, but on a 350 dpi high display in high resolution it becomes too small.

Cursors needs to be scaleable. It needs be vector graphics, not raster graphics. Like SVG.

Comment

The cursor theme mechanism is the old one copied from X or is it a new one?

E.g I once tried to create a cursor theme but there were strange requirements to create weird image formats for the cursor for which there was a special application, and I thought to myself "that is stupid". See "step 6" here.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            How about per users theme, one for me and one for mind blind grandmother.

The weston.ini file IS in the users ~/.config/ folder...

Comment

Not explanatory

The title of this article is misleading as the handling of cursors has nothing to do with the window system in Wayland - It should have been named "Weston Support For Cursor Themes".

And though I agree that it may not be a critical feature, it is actaully nice to see that the Wayland team has a reference implementation of it along with their reference compositor(aka. Weston).
              Last edited by vitiv; 08-13-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                How about scaleable cursors for high-DPI displays?

Maybe that little raster graphics cursor works fine on a 72 dpi display, but on a 350 dpi high display in high resolution it becomes too small.

Cursors needs to be scaleable. It needs be vector graphics, not raster graphics. Like SVG.
                The DE would be responsible for this, Wayland has no restrictions on what format the image is loaded from. Though this articale is actually about Weston witch is a DE so in that regard your question is valid.

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                The weston.ini file IS in the users ~/.config/ folder...
                Thanks.

Originally posted by vitiv View Post
                The title of this article is misleading as the handling of cursors has nothing to do with the window system in Wayland - It should have been named "Weston Support For Cursor Themes".

And though I agree that it may not be a critical feature, it is actaully nice to see that the Wayland team has a reference implementation of it along with their reference compositor(aka. Weston).
                Good point.

Comment

I would like to have scalable cursors.
                  About file format support: jpg and png support for bitmap cursors and svg for vector cursors.
                  Also multiple cursors input devices.
                  (Bind keyboard to cursor to form a keyboard-cursor pair, make input devices groups that belong together. Being binded should be only mandatory for something such as keyboards that really need a mouse or another pointing device. No need to e.g. limit a controller. Consoles can handle multiple input devices why not on pc's? Answer: It can be done on PC!)
                  Last edited by plonoma; 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    I would like to have scalable cursors.
                    About file format support: jpg and png support for bitmap cursors and svg for vector cursors.
                    Also multiple cursors input devices.
                    (Bind keyboard to cursor to form a keyboard-cursor pair, make input devices groups that belong together. Being binded should be only mandatory for something such as keyboards that really need a mouse or another pointing device. No need to e.g. limit a controller. Consoles can handle multiple input devices why not on pc's? Answer: It can be done on PC!)
                    No, not JPEG. JPEG does not support alpha channel (transparency), so it is not suitable for a cursor. Not to mention it is lossy compression.

It should be PNG and SVG.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      No, not JPEG. JPEG does not support alpha channel (transparency), so it is not suitable for a cursor. Not to mention it is lossy compression.

It should be PNG and SVG.
                      If the protocol specifies just something you (the toolkit) can put anything on it then it doesn't matter. We can have things like.

or a everytime a window is not responding with Eduard Khils song blasting full volume on the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                        If the protocol specifies just something you (the toolkit) can put anything on it then it doesn't matter. We can have things like.

or a everytime a window is not responding with Eduard Khils song blasting full volume on the speakers.
                        Execelent example. As said before, how and what to display is up to the compositor(Weston, Compiz, Kwin etc) so there's nothig to stop from using whatever the heck we want as a cursor - you could even render 3d objects via opengl if you fancy it.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                          The cursor theme mechanism is the old one copied from X or is it a new one?

E.g I once tried to create a cursor theme but there were strange requirements to create weird image formats for the cursor for which there was a special application, and I thought to myself "that is stupid". See "step 6" here.
                          I don't know why you found it strange. From what I remember, you take a PNG with a text file that lists the hot spot and use xcursorgen to generate a binary file. Xcursorgen is standard program that can be installed from your distro's repo. You can even use it to make animated cursors.

Comment

Working...
                          X