Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Wayland: It Works, But A Lot Of Work Remains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Many of the Wayland developers are also X.org developers including its founder. PulseAudio is the de facto audio mixer for Linux and it's developed together with ALSA developers because you know, PulseAudio runs on top of ALSA.
    No, actually i know of what i'm talking about....i might haven't express myself well because English is not my natural language.
    I knew perfectly that PA works on top of ALSA...

    "many of" is not the same as "all of them"....and my point fits as well to them....if they kept their efforts all to the X and ALSA projects , we might haven't these issues....

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by pq__ View Post
      No. XWayland will actually live on a little longer than the standalone X server (like you know X today) will.

      Why? Because not all software will ever be ported away from X; either because there is no source, or because no-one wants to put in the effort, and some of that software will stay useful.

      And even the standalone X will take decades to die. Really, X is not disappearing anywhere in any such timeframe you could possibly care.


      Btw. the wheel has been invented again a lot of times: wooden cart wheel, air-inflated rubber wheel, bicycle wheel, all the different car wheels... and for very good reasons. Try to drive a modern car with 100-year-old wooden cart wheels.
      I doubt that will take decades to X go away...UBUNTU will drop it at 1st chance and that will affect lot's of other distros based on it....

      ...and no, to make a wheel of a different material doesn't count as reinventing it...it's still circular nut square/octagonal/whatever

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Teho View Post
        Yet you personally just did that. You can remove PulseAudio on any distribution if you so desire.
        In binary distros, no you can't, without recompiling everything that depends on it.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          On some thread on The H someone actually even called D-Bus "bloated shit that gets forced down our throats"...
          What an apt description. Whoever said that is a gentleman and a scholar.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            I doubt that will take decades to X go away...UBUNTU will drop it at 1st chance and that will affect lot's of other distros based on it....

            ...and no, to make a wheel of a different material doesn't count as reinventing it...it's still circular nut square/octagonal/whatever
            For the mainstream distributions might be the case but there are people (or organizations) who need to run weird/complex apps that only work on X and those people usually pay to get support and keep things running. And of course don't underestimate the average weirdbeird who hates change.

            Its not going away as soon as some might think.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              And of course don't underestimate the average weirdbeird who hates change.
              ...it's always a good option not underestimate me



              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                if they kept their efforts all to the X and ALSA projects , we might haven't these issues....
                And you know this how? Do you work on ALSA or X.org or something?

                Originally posted by curaga
                In binary distros, no you can't, without recompiling everything that depends on it.
                What else even depends of PulseAudio than graphical mixers designed for it? Many applications depend on libpulse but that shouldn't be problem for anybody (or if it's what might the problem be?).

                Comment


                • #48
                  BTW, anyone even tryed games on Wayland ? I'm not talking about cards games or chess, i'm talking about ETQW, Oil Rush and the likes.....i'm also talking about pure Wayland and not with xWayland assuming that you can ditch xWayland from those tests...i'm curious if it will break in any way those games....i doubt but i would like to be sure...

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Games on Wayland won't really be possible until the SDL port is complete (as far as I know no other game toolkit has been started yet)

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
                      Games on Wayland won't really be possible until the SDL port is complete (as far as I know no other game toolkit has been started yet)
                      ...but the work of porting it is being done ? Is the goal of the port to be also 100% retro-compatible with SDL used in X ?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X