Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video: Wayland's Weston Gains Sliding Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Video: Wayland's Weston Gains Sliding Support

    Phoronix: Video: Wayland's Weston Gains Sliding Support

    The latest feature for Wayland's Weston reference compositor / shell is a sliding layout effect...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNzQ

  • #2
    Stupid

    Wayland/Weston seems stupid.
    Every widget toolkit needs to draw their own window decorators, that is stupid.
    Isn't that the job of the window manager?

    Also, every window manager needs to implement their own Wayland display server?
    Thats code complexity and overhead and duplication of code.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Wayland/Weston seems stupid.
      Every widget toolkit needs to draw their own window decorators, that is stupid.
      Isn't that the job of the window manager?
      It can work both ways. Kwin will draw its own window decorations.

      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Also, every window manager needs to implement their own Wayland display server?
      Thats code complexity and overhead and duplication of code.
      I don't think it's more complex than to implement an X window manager.

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow, what a yummy treaty to Michael, the patch sender has even provided a video himself,
        so Michael doesn't have to record anything.

        Aside that though, I'm not sure I've seen Hoegsberg actually greenlighting the patches yet?
        Would be funny if it didn't get merged at all, and people would start complaining due to this article..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Wow, what a yummy treaty to Michael, the patch sender has even provided a video himself,
          so Michael doesn't have to record anything.

          Aside that though, I'm not sure I've seen Hoegsberg actually greenlighting the patches yet?
          Would be funny if it didn't get merged at all, and people would start complaining due to this article..
          Nope. It's not even merged into the weston repo yet! I checked the webgit thing.

          Comment


          • #6
            It looks more like something that should be in a specific DE/plugin then directly in Weston.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              It looks more like something that should be in a specific DE/plugin then directly in Weston.
              Well, Weston is the equivalent of KWin/Compiz/etc.

              It does seem like lots of these features probably aren't useful in a reference design that won't be directly used by any of the major desktops, but I suppose it's useful to show what's possible on top of Wayland and to make sure everything is working.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Well, Weston is the equivalent of KWin/Compiz/etc.

                It does seem like lots of these features probably aren't useful in a reference design that won't be directly used by any of the major desktops, but I suppose it's useful to show what's possible on top of Wayland and to make sure everything is working.
                Yep, that's the point I think, just as with rotating surfaces (demonstration of arbitrary and transparent transformations);

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Wayland/Weston seems stupid.
                  Every widget toolkit needs to draw their own window decorators, that is stupid.
                  Isn't that the job of the window manager?

                  Also, every window manager needs to implement their own Wayland display server?
                  Thats code complexity and overhead and duplication of code.
                  I think you are stupid. Now what?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                    I think you are stupid. Now what?
                    Then you might be right.
                    But am I wrong?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Then you might be right.
                      But am I wrong?
                      You might be right. However, by labeling Kristian's, et al @ Intel's creation as "stupid", I fail to see how it adds value. Your use of the adjective is polarizing and shuts people down, despite the fact that you may indeed have a valid point. That's all - and this has nothing to do with the content of your message or your point, but merely the "tone" of your message.

                      Having said that, there was a long ass discussion about this on the Wayland mailing list, I hope you've read it, it may answer your why/why nots. There is always a trade-off between both approaches. And last, if you don't like something, and are registering a complaint, you could also pitch in and fix it. If not that, in the least, be constructive and somewhat polite when aiming criticism at anything....

                      Am I wrong?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                        You might be right. However, by labeling Kristian's, et al @ Intel's creation as "stupid", I fail to see how it adds value. Your use of the adjective is polarizing and shuts people down, despite the fact that you may indeed have a valid point. That's all - and this has nothing to do with the content of your message or your point, but merely the "tone" of your message.

                        Having said that, there was a long ass discussion about this on the Wayland mailing list, I hope you've read it, it may answer your why/why nots. There is always a trade-off between both approaches. And last, if you don't like something, and are registering a complaint, you could also pitch in and fix it. If not that, in the least, be constructive and somewhat polite when aiming criticism at anything....

                        Am I wrong?
                        You're right.

                        Also, I am not sure I am right, I might be wrong. I am not so technical proficient as the talented guys who are working on Wayland.

                        I just think they should consider the approach of other modern desktop systems, such as the approaches by Quartz (Mac) or Aero/DWM (Windows) or what they're called.

                        Also have in mind X (which I think they do, as many of them are also developers of X).
                        Also have in mind rio (windowing system in Plan 9) and maybe give a thought or two about PostScript.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X