Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Running Various GTK Applications

Phoronix: Wayland Running Various GTK Applications

There's some more progress to report on with Wayland and Weston beyond the Wayland talks at last week's LF collab summit, including a video showing various GTK applications running within Wayland on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA4NTA

Unfortunately Rebecca black linux doesn't even boot on my system, it stays stuck somewhere in the middle while booting.

Using Nvidia GTX 560Ti & ASUS MB P7P55D LX.

Comment

sadly many of the important apps don't work

once Libre, Browsers and media players start working i think we ll see greater adoption of WL

great work from the guy that made the video

Comment

Why are these demos always with disabled theming? Is it not yet possible possible with Wayland or do the demonstrators just not care?

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
          Why are these demos always with disabled theming? Is it not yet possible possible with Wayland or do the demonstrators just not care?
          i think they don't work yet

only enlightenment has presented something with decorations

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            i think they don't work yet

only enlightenment has presented something with decorations
            I don't mean window decorations. I'm wondering about the widget theme.

Comment

why would there be any themes installed, or configured?

Comment

sadly many of the important apps don't work

once Libre, Browsers and media players start working i think we ll see greater adoption of WL

great work from the guy that made the video
                Wayland is still in heavy development, and the current adoption rate is 0.
                I just pray that the mistakes of KDE4 and PulseAudio won't be repeated by distro packagers...

Comment

I don't mean window decorations. I'm wondering about the widget theme.
                  I THINK that has something to do with the fact gnome-settings-manger isn't running... I'm not sure if it even runs on Wayland yet...

Comment

Gnome-settings-manager is not necessary to use a gtk+ theme. It's merely bad design by Ubuntu to do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                      Wayland is still in heavy development, and the current adoption rate is 0.
                      I just pray that the mistakes of KDE4 and PulseAudio won't be repeated by distro packagers...
                      i know my previous post was wrong in a way

i should have rephrased my previous comment into something like "if _ insert random apps_ work, people will start to use it" but i was lazy and didn't do it

anyway if there is a way to make the X dependent apps work without the app maintainers having to do something (ie start X client automatically after the user clicks on them) and once we get the common apps running i think it will become popular.

Comment

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...il/002904.html

this message sums up what works what needs to be done etc

Comment

anyway if there is a way to make the X dependent apps work without the app maintainers having to do something (ie start X client automatically after the user clicks on them) and once we get the common apps running i think it will become popular.
                          This already works in XWayland. It listens for any network calls on the X protocol, and automatically starts X and passes the app to it.

Comment

Because I just haven't taken the time to look into how to do it. By all means enlighten me, and I'll give it a try in my next video.

Comment

I noticed in recent testing of Ubuntu Precise packaging that theming started working on its own.

Comment

Working...
                              X