Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.0 Is Set For H1'2012 Release

Phoronix: Wayland 1.0 Is Set For H1'2012 Release

A few days ago I wrote that the Wayland Display Server is preparing for a stable 1.0 release and now this weekend from FOSDEM new information has been learned...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA1Mjk

I wonder if/when can we expect the video posted.

Comment

Any chance you can get your hands on some of the slides?
      In especially, I'm interested in the talk of Francisco Jerez (OpenCL).

Comment

Won't Wayland make the xf86-video-intel driver redundant? With all the work being placed on UXA and it's replacements SNA & Glamour better be spent on porting i965 to the gallium infrastructure?

Comment

i am curious to see which will be the first DE that will go X less (at least experimentally)

i am willing to bet on E17

Comment

Let's hope with this 1.0 release, Wayland will finally be taken seriously by the binary blobs providers.

Comment

I thought he said, they will freeze the 0.85 api now(ish), release a 0.90 (aka 1.0 beta) pretty soon, followed by an 0.9x release candidate a few months later and a 1.0 around late 2012/ early 2013, despite the slides stating otherwise.

Comment

I confirm that he said 1.0 would be released in late 2012 or early 2013.

Comment

After announcing support for nesting X11 servers within Wayland (addressing legacy / network transparency), the Linux desktop should be *running*, not walking, to Wayland. I've been watching the discussions, the news, the events, and I think this really has a shot to cleanup our awfully heavy graphics stack.

I really hope for binary support from NVIDIA on this... you guys watching?

Comment

NVIDIA will start publishing drivers for Wayland when their large customers -- by which I mean tens of thousands of NVIDIA/Linux deployments -- tell them it's what they need. Until then, they really don't care.

Comment

Working...
                    X