Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Is Almost Ready For Showing Off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    Wayland is more efficient in many scenerios, especially when it comes to stuff like compositing where X is unnecessarily convoluted and/or architecturally outdated.
    Can you point me towards some benchmarks? Thanks.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by China_Guy View Post
      High efficient and complex multi-effect composite desktop need Wayland,Wayland is better than X in compositing efficiency !
      yes really cool i also hope they driver smartphones also with wayland.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
        I've no idea whether X is responsible on any level, but I'd be interested to see whether OSes using Wayland can play videos without the audio sync problems I've been plagued with on every Ubuntu box I've ever built.
        That's the entire point of Wayland - super fast rendering of video. Interestingly enough, I've not had issues with audio sync when using mplayer on Ubuntu (on X).

        Wayland is taking Linux in a new era where it will become king of the desktop.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by MartinN View Post
          That's the entire point of Wayland - super fast rendering of video. Interestingly enough, I've not had issues with audio sync when using mplayer on Ubuntu (on X).

          Wayland is taking Linux in a new era where it will become king of the desktop.
          I always had problems with audio being out of sync with XBMC, but there is no problem when I enable the AV sync in the XBMC options.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Can you point me towards some benchmarks? Thanks.
            Is this a joke question?

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
              Is this a joke question?
              Why? Was it funny?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Why? Was it funny?
                There are no Wayland benchmarks because the display server isn't even in beta development stage yet. No desktops currently are able to run on it, but most major ones are being ported to Wayland. KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment. For now, the only "benchmark" running on Wayland is glxgears.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
                  There are no Wayland benchmarks because the display server isn't even in beta development stage yet. No desktops currently are able to run on it, but most major ones are being ported to Wayland. KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment. For now, the only "benchmark" running on Wayland is glxgears.
                  And..? Is it faster? What are the results of this glxgears benchmark?

                  Also, when are we going to see a Wayland port of the Phoronix test suite?

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Reloaded211 View Post
                    There are no Wayland benchmarks because the display server isn't even in beta development stage yet. No desktops currently are able to run on it, but most major ones are being ported to Wayland. KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment. For now, the only "benchmark" running on Wayland is glxgears.
                    So how do we know that it's "far more efficient"? So far, it doesn't really do much.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      And..? Is it faster? What are the results of this glxgears benchmark?
                      Is this a joke question? Glxgears is not a benchmark.

                      Also, when are we going to see a Wayland port of the Phoronix test suite?
                      When it's ready. Who knows? Maybe in 2014?!?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X