A Screensaver Interface Comes To Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    Nope. I might will. But it's not just any problem. It's so bad that it completely trashes the output and hangs the whole graphics card.
    First I need to take some time to get some useful debug output from EGL and the radeon driver.

Hey, at least the wayland terminal doesn't segfault anymore when wayland is running as a X client. Its output is just broken. Progress.

then how do you expect it to be solved

Comment

Originally posted by 0xCAFE View Post
      Screensavers belong to the 90s and should be removed everywhere.
      All ultra cool brand new smart phones have the feature of lock the screen and show some image while you try to unlock it.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
        Yep I've seen LCD burn in ... and it was indeed a login screen at my University.
        Per corporate policies, all our corporate desktop computers have a corporate screen-saver installed, that displays an animation involving the corporate logo; but the animation is not as animated as it should, and the corporate logo ends up being burned into our corporate LCD monitors...

Comment

Great, it took a whole day for my posts to appear here, and then they appeared in the middle of old posts.

Anyway, more on screen locking and screensavers here: http://ppaalanen.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            Nope. I might will. But it's not just any problem. It's so bad that it completely trashes the output and hangs the whole graphics card.
            First I need to take some time to get some useful debug output from EGL and the radeon driver.

Hey, at least the wayland terminal doesn't segfault anymore when wayland is running as a X client. Its output is just broken. Progress.
            Heh, without cairo-gl it actually works. Didn't think cairo-gl was so broken when it is so long around already. Then it is working at least as X client, but in console, still horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by pq__ View Post
              Great, it took a whole day for my posts to appear here, and then they appeared in the middle of old posts.

Anyway, more on screen locking and screensavers here: http://ppaalanen.blogspot.com

since you are a wl dev would it be possible to give an answer on what parts of wayland are missing in order for it to be able to support a full desktop environment??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                since you are a wl dev would it be possible to give an answer on what parts of wayland are missing in order for it to be able to support a full desktop environment??
                Not really, sorry. I haven't worked with desktops enough to know what they need. You might get some idea, if you take the EWMH spec and assume everything is still missing. You might also add ICCCM, but AFAIU that is less relevant here, since the display server and window manager are the same process, and they actually contain policy, too, which the X server does not.

Note, that EWMH is not supposed to be implemented directly. EWMH is for X, and Wayland is way different. But we do need lots of similar features, and those are pretty much missing.

Also, I haven't looked at what the KDE, Gnome or other specific desktop projects have done, all I know at this time is the wayland demos.

Comment

thanks for the answer

Comment

Working...
                  X