Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Benefit To Wayland: Its Screensaver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    My computer's purpose is to help me do whatever I want/must, not entertaining other people.

    That said screensavers are ten times more stupid than MS Clippy (yeah I just said that) because they have absolutely zero purpose. And if you want entertainment than Clippy's animation are more entertaining than stinking midget feet (Gnome screensaver) supposedly walking all over the inside of your screen.

    No thanks...
    you underestimate the effect and how important beauty is for the people. Even if it is without purpose watching something beautiful on the screen > blanc screen.

    As for the argument of power consumption i believe its up to the user to decide.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      you underestimate the effect and how important beauty is for the people. Even if it is without purpose watching something beautiful on the screen > blanc screen.
      I could understand it if it was to be a piece of static art in the case you have a beautiful LED screen mounted to your livingroom wall, otherwise I realy don't see the point of having screensavers.

      The purpose of an OS is not to entertain your office neighbours. By your reason for beauty; maybe we should make a dialog in Fedora whenever you home partition is decrypted, like this:



      Cool, huh?

      Comment


      • #13
        Count me in with the "screensavers are useless" crowd. I think '98 was the last time I even had one enabled on a machine.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          I could understand it if it was to be a piece of static art in the case you have a beautiful LED screen mounted to your livingroom wall
          And there are people like that. Once walked into a home where the guy had 9 30" Apple Cinema displays on a wall with the Euphoria screensaver running for "decor" purposes. At the time that was about 30k worth of displays.

          Comment


          • #15
            Oh boy, let screensavers die along with crts...

            Comment


            • #16
              Last time i used a screen saver was at a party. Projecting it on the people with a DLP makes a great substitute for laser

              They may be usefull for some other specific stuff, but mostly not

              I do set up the screen saver and monitor power off to a dt of 1 min between them. This way if i need the screen i have a "warning" before the screen goes off, so i can save some power cycles to it and maybe prolong its life this way

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Ashc View Post
                Last time i used a screen saver was at a party. Projecting it on the people with a DLP makes a great substitute for laser

                They may be usefull for some other specific stuff, but mostly not

                I do set up the screen saver and monitor power off to a dt of 1 min between them. This way if i need the screen i have a "warning" before the screen goes off, so i can save some power cycles to it and maybe prolong its life this way
                This is a pretty good idea, actually! I think I'll try this myself.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Whether or not you believe a screensaver should display a beautiful image or animation or not is one thing, but when you lock your screen so it prevents people from either being able to use the machine or read the contents of the screen, it needs to do that properly and reliably.

                  The way things are now, if you can arrange it so that the screen saver process dies, bingo, you're back in to the machine. But even if you can't manage that, usually when you hit a key after the screen saver has been started, you get a flicker of the contents of the screen under the screen saver. Not very private, and is one thing that will get addressed by this improvement.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X