Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

This is going to be short as I have another flight to catch to San Diego for the next week [if anyone wants to meet-up to discuss Linux, Phoronix, or the Phoronix Test Suite in the area, contact me]. Anyhow, Mark Shuttleworth just sent over an email saying that they will be deploying the Wayland Display Server with their Unity Desktop -- that's replacing the GNOME Shell by default -- in a future Ubuntu release!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Less about Wayland, we want to now more about the vodka-coke! :P

Comment

BOOOOOOOOMMMM

that was something i didn't expect at least anytime soon

Comment

How will Wayland make a difference to users/developers etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
          How will Wayland make a difference to users/developers etc.?
          Yeah I wonder on that too.
          X is not that bad, despite so many bad comments.
          Also what would be interesting is how much software would break with a transition.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
            Also what would be interesting is how much software would break with a transition.
            Only software that's not properly written, same as with the global menu bar, RGBA translucency, denying file system write permissions to all but a handful of applications, and changing the configuration directory.

As long as you follow the development guidelines for Ubuntu to the letter, you'll be fine. .....and now that LibreOffice has been pryed out of Sun/Oracle's hands, there might be hope that it'll get a native Ubuntu GUI rewrite too. Just remember: You can write your app for Ubuntu, or you can write it for Qt, or you can write it using your own weird hacks, but if you do the latter, it's about guaranteed to break whenever any user or distributor tries to do anything innovative.

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
              Only software that's not properly written
              Define 'properly'. Certainly, the average application should be unaffected, if it uses a standard toolkit like Qt or Gtk, and uses *only* that toolkit. But what if it needs to do something clever? Is the chat client "not properly written" because it uses the standard X screen saver API to recognise when the user is away from the keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
                Unless I'm mistaken, the plan (at least initially) is to use Wayland as a backend for the X server, in which case hardly any software would break.

Comment

What about the MASSIVE performance problems this will cause. The opensource drivers are slow, and the proprietary ones don't work. Also, won't this compositing cause a massive drop in performance?

Comment

glad to see a big player stepping up and pushing the opensource movement where its needed. I for one don't give a dam if we break compatible, since the outcome will likely be a far more streamlined solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X