Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    What about the MASSIVE performance problems this will cause. The opensource drivers are slow, and the proprietary ones don't work. Also, won't this compositing cause a massive drop in performance?
    In and of itself, Wayland will perform a ton better than X11. I'm running compiz on nouveau right now, it's performant *enough* for me. By the time Canonical actually does this, Free drivers will be a lot faster.

If an application is using the x11 screensaver thing to tell if a user went away, yes, that is improperly written-- but that may be a fault of GTK or Qt that the application developer will catch the consequences for. Is that seriously the only way to query how long the user has been away? What does Empathy use?

Comment

Nice to see someone trying to push vendors to something rather than lay there and take it up the ass.

Comment

smells like ubuntu's trying to steal the show with a unity-compiz-wayland thingymajig.

i don't know.... it just seems like canonical is trying to monopolize the open source world. which isn't nearly as bad as closed big business monopolization. at least they're trying to use and advance new technologies while bringing in new linux users.

anyway, go wayland!

Comment

Good news actually. Wayland needed a push by a major player. Though I guess the decision might not be really final yet.

Comment

I certainly hope they make the switch before 12.10.

X server is architecturally flawed. Wayland is the future.

Comment

In short, windowing systems designed to allow distributed operation where the application does not necessarily run on the desktop are demonstrably architecturally flawed - they cannot exploit modern graphics hardware.

Gosling's highlights this increasing unsuitability of an X11-style architecture in a paper in which he outlines how he would design a windowing system if he were starting from scratch today. The most striking feature of Gosling's proposal is how low level it is:

"make the 'window system' so minimal that it is almost non-existent."

Comment

Ubuntu/Wayland

As a Ubuntu user, I optimistically expect Wayland to bring:
                1) Much less RAM consumption per logged user comparing to X/Compiz.
                2) No flicker in video, switching to login screen, user switching and so on.
                3) No weird bugs when switching to and from full-screen apps in other resolutions then default (mostly games)
                4) Less CPU usage / more battery life
                5) Faster system boot
                6) Never boot to console as failover - at least for major consumer graphic chips Intel, NV, AMD.

All of these should be achievable by simplified design comparing to X. It remains to be seen how much Wayland will actually deliver in mentioned points.

Comment

good news. but what about updating old ubuntu to new ubuntu? users will be scare, they failed something

i love changes, so i would try wayland right when it become stable

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
                    6) Never boot to console as failover - at least for major consumer graphic chips Intel, NV, AMD.
                    Why would you want this?

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
                      i don't know.... it just seems like canonical is trying to monopolize the open source world.
                      Monopolise the open source world? Contradiction? How can you monopolise the open source world with open source software?

Comment

Working...
                      X