Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

    Phoronix: Wayland Becomes A FreeDesktop.org Project

    Just earlier today we reported that Wayland is becoming compatible with Nouveau so that users of this open-source NVIDIA driver can begin using this alternative, lightweight display server that leverages the latest Linux graphics technologies. About the only caveat right now is the needed Nouveau page-flipping support, which is here for some hardware but not in the mainline Linux kernel yet and the page-flipping hook-up for the newer NVIDIA GPUs is coming soon. Kristian Høgsberg, the creator of Wayland, also made another announcement today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODczNQ

  • #2
    To think it would have been faster to write Wayland over X11...

    Comment


    • #3
      How hard would it be to port for example Kwin to use Wayland client or is that even possibe? And will wayland be usable in anyway in desktop settings anytime soon?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
        To think it would have been faster to write Wayland over X11...
        That actually defeats 99% of the purpose of Wayland.

        Plus, interestingly enough, all of the "extra work" needed to make Wayland run on its own is work that a Wayland-free X11 server also needed done to do all those fancy modern graphics compositing accelerated root-less doohickies you kids want.

        Comment


        • #5
          Does anyone know what the X.org folks think about Wayland?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
            To think it would have been faster to write Wayland over X11...
            That makes zero sense.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Teho View Post
              How hard would it be to port for example Kwin to use Wayland client or is that even possibe? And will wayland be usable in anyway in desktop settings anytime soon?
              It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.

              Comment


              • #8
                Woah

                This is exciting. If someone made some kind of WayBuntu, I'd totally use it. GTK/Qt strict application compatibility? Fine, That's how I roll anyways because of my global menu bar and RGBA translucency usage. Incompatability with nVidia proprietary drivers? I'm using Nouveau with Gallium3D right now.

                I want to see what kind of power consumption can be managed playing 3d games with less context switching and strict render-on-page-flipping. Why render 230 FPS with tearing when you can render 1/2x or 1x refresh rate with no tearing and lower power usage?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                  This is exciting. If someone made some kind of WayBuntu, I'd totally use it. GTK/Qt strict application compatibility? Fine, That's how I roll anyways because of my global menu bar and RGBA translucency usage. Incompatability with nVidia proprietary drivers? I'm using Nouveau with Gallium3D right now.

                  I want to see what kind of power consumption can be managed playing 3d games with less context switching and strict render-on-page-flipping. Why render 230 FPS with tearing when you can render 1/2x or 1x refresh rate with no tearing and lower power usage?

                  I wonder if it is time for the Wine developers to consider moving from X to a portable backend like Qt or Cairo, which not only would enable games on Wayland, directfb or whatever while still possible to run on X11. It would also enable running "standard" Wine on OSX with no X11 dependencies.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
                    It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.
                    Are you sure about that? I don't think KWin was ever ported, it was just the plasma shell (running with the normal windows window manager) and I thought I remembered reading at the time that there was no plan to port over Kwin because it was heavily, heavily dependent on X, and because most people just would want plasma anyway.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
                      It is possible, KWin have been ported to Windows (I don't know if it still work or if the work have even been merged). I don't know that much about Wayland, but KWin is not that dependent on X11.
                      doesn't porting a toolkit to wayland automaticaly means that the apps using it can run on it???

                      ie KWin is written in Qt (as i read in wikipedia) and qt is being ported to wayland as we speak

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        KWin is an X window manager. Of course it does all sorts of things highly tied to the X Window System.

                        KWin does use Qt, but it's not ALL it uses.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So if wayland is a compositor then does that mean it will have problems with running compiz? (thinking that it would be hard to port gnome 3 and the like)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wayland is realy starting to take off

                            If it could have a remote desktop X11 replacement extention then that would be great!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              can somebody explain the situation with the window managers compositors etc on Wayland??

                              things like Kwin Metacity/Mutter Enlightenment Compiz just have to slightly modify the code to target wayland right??

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X