Wayland Updated With KMS Page-Flipping Ioctl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Wayland looks interesting, but it will have support existing applications (probably by hosting an X server inside it) before it can become widely useful.
    That's exactly what the plan is as far as I can see. Wayland can already host multiple X servers to run legacy applications and in cases where users want the networking capability of X.

Wayland isn't supposed to be a rewrite of X, it's aiming to be something much simpler and I believe it's what should eventually be used by default in desktop Linux, as most users don't need all the features of X.

Comment

I can really recommend the following article and the embedded video to those who are curious about wayland, its goals and (future) abilities:
      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzcwOA
      (Kristian Talks about the wayland display server)

Comment

Wayland's Rewrite Philosophy

Goal: deprecate the complex X11 protocol in a backward-compatible way.

Wayland's minimal and toolkits must be ported. GTK & QT have ports in-progress. It offers X11's GEM buffers (most common feature) making porting easier.
        It has plugins for compositing & X-Server (for non-ported programs' backwards compatibility). Plugins can be created for VNC.

Comment

Why do people (who know nothing about X) keep insisting that X needs to be replaced and that it is bloated? X isn't some simple piece of software so if you don't understand it, shut up.

I'm not saying X is perfect and doesn't need to be replaced, but don't come and say it's full of problems when you don't know anything about it. Many of the problems people blame on X actually lies somewhere else.

Comment

X is complicated

Anything with 10s of millions of lines of code is too complicated for anyone to "know". Still X-server sees few developers than projects of similar importance.

Unnecessary complication is often beaten by choice since developers can work on the competing product. Here there's no choice.

That's why someone from the community who has enhanced Linux kernel, Mesa, and X.org's server decided to build a simpler competitor: Wayland. It takes that level of knowledge to even begin doing the job.

Comment

Working...
            X