Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State Of The Wayland Display Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Hehe, they'll sooner or later bring support for QT, but it's sad they first support this thing... Modern display server and old gtk - it doesn't look so good...
    It's funny how KDE and Qt fans say nonsense like this and then complain whenever anyone mentions the horribly mismanaged KDE 4.0 and 4.1 releases...

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
      It's funny how KDE and Qt fans say nonsense like this and then complain whenever anyone mentions the horribly mismanaged KDE 4.0 and 4.1 releases...
      Goes both ways.

      Comment


      • #13
        Lets not turn this thread into a KDE vs GNOME flame war guys .. kthx

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
          Other way around - Wayland would be rendering and compositing the desktop, but this would only let you use client drawn apps. So there would be an X server running rootless so you could use legacy apps. The X applications would then be pulled from the X server and would be composted with the normal ones.

          It would be a lot like how Mac OS X handles X applications.
          So would it be possible for the Wayland+X.org configuration to work on two different graphic cards, one integrated and another one discrete?

          https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/312756
          http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
            It would be a lot like how Mac OS X handles X applications.
            That has been worrying for me on Wayland (and I can't seem to find any info on this).

            The _only_ reason I think that X is awesome, is because it's a client-server model. So, for example I can have my applications running on my server and displaying them on my computer.

            Mac OSX can't do that. I just hope Wayland will continue to be client-server. Else, I won't bother, as VNC just doesn't cut it.

            Anyone has more info about this?

            Cheers,
            Benedikt

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
              Mac OSX can't do that. I just hope Wayland will continue to be client-server. Else, I won't bother, as VNC just doesn't cut it.

              Anyone has more info about this?

              Cheers,
              Benedikt
              You can run using indirect glx connection. It has fairly good performance even in wireless g network so if you have better than that connection any opengl application that doesn't take advantage of too new features should work well. You can test it by running some opengl application in your server using LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 enviroment varaible.
              Code:
              LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 neverputt

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                Other way around - Wayland would be rendering and compositing the desktop, but this would only let you use client drawn apps. So there would be an X server running rootless so you could use legacy apps. The X applications would then be pulled from the X server and would be composted with the normal ones.

                It would be a lot like how Mac OS X handles X applications.
                I am willing to start a wikipedia page to detail the differences and similarities between the graphical sides -- windowing and gui in general -- of Mac OSX versus X.org. Does anybody know if such thing exists anywhere?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                  It's funny how KDE and Qt fans say nonsense like this and then complain whenever anyone mentions the horribly mismanaged KDE 4.0 and 4.1 releases...
                  It's funny to see some people choosing crap rather then better toolkits, because there's G in name. 4.1 was actually great and 4.0 was testing release. It's also funny, because some people have filters on their eyes and they see only BS from one side. What's nonsense here? Gtk is old compared to QT4, great FAN.

                  @Bugmenot

                  I'll stop here :>
                  Last edited by kraftman; 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    It's funny to see some people choosing crap rather then better toolkits, because there's G in name. 4.1 was actually great and 4.0 was testing release. It's also funny, because some people have filters on their eyes and they see only BS from one side. What's nonsense here? Gtk is old compared to QT4, great FAN.
                    True, except their making that testing release and calling it "4.0" was false advertising. As such, it's fair to criticize it for not living up to what a 4.0 release is expected to be (it's expected to build on 3.x...).

                    They should have come up with a new name so that it could be version 1.0. KDE: Awesomeness Edition, version 1.0. Ok I admit my name is lousy, but at least it would have been more honest.
                    Last edited by StringCheesian; 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Shush your mouths about it. It's history. KDE released something that most people didn't find useful. Live with it. There is nothing that they could of done to avoid it. It is simply the fundamental reality of what happens with software and rewrites.

                      It's as obvious as it is blameless.

                      It's a trade off. A bit of pain for a couple years until the software gets up to speed, then hopefully they'll have something modern and better then what you can get from other places.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X