Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual X Servers Running Side-By-Side With Wayland

Phoronix: Dual X Servers Running Side-By-Side With Wayland

It was just earlier this week that Wayland picked up a terminal as Kristian Høgsberg was working to get a real X Server running under this mini display server with integrated compositing manager that's designed around technologies like kernel mode-setting and the Graphics Execution Manager. Now though Wayland has reached another milestone...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkyMg

I wonder how the X.org developers feel about this.

I would assume, that would prefer X over anything else...

Comment

The future is bright

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
        The future is bright
        Not really. Isn't this 1 guy working on his spare time?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          Not really. Isn't this 1 guy working on his spare time?
          Funny, that sounds a lot like how an apparently quite popular project I recently heard about started - I think they call it a kernel or something.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
            Funny, that sounds a lot like how an apparently quite popular project I recently heard about started - I think they call it a kernel or something.
            Love the pun!

Comment

But isn't this designed for embedded devices, not desktop environments?

Comment

it grows and grows...seems to be able to replace xserver sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
                  it grows and grows...seems to be able to replace xserver sometime...
                  Replace?? They got TWO of them running on top of it!

But I do wonder which low level parts of X it could be replacing? And I assume one of the advantages here is simplicity? That Wayland is able to do some things quite easily (like compositing) and therefore takes that burden away from the X server?

Comment

it's unbelievable how fast they develop it. afaik, it's just one guy or at least a bunch of guys, not many people. x.org took several months to get features that these guys add by several weeks.
                    ps: i've the feeling that it got better than expected?! perhaps not just as an alternative for embedded systems? i'm hoping..

Comment

Working...
                    X