Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Hosted A Vulkan Developers Day This Week

Phoronix: NVIDIA Hosted A Vulkan Developers Day This Week

NVIDIA yesterday hosted a Vulkan Developers Day at their campus for graphics developers to learn more about the next-generation Khronos API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So.... It might come by the end of the year?

Comment

I'm expecting it to be 24-28 July SIGGRAPH;

The last 20% of a project takes 80% of its time, etc.

There will be last minute things and people will ramp down as they mentally see themselves nearing the end of their driver implementation / final legal review projects. Unfortunately, many developers consuming the next generation APIs may give up holding things for Vulkan and impatiently just use DX12 in this time, giving it a slight head start in the industry. Their expectations were set for end of 2015 / early 2016 - so when the expectation is broken, into Microsoft's open arms they go. Oops.
      Last edited by philcostin; 20 January 2016, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, my thoughts as well. They should have shot for a November release all things considered if they wanted to get in the game at the best possible timing. Timing is the most important part of any product release, good timing and you will have success, bad timing and you will fail. Vulkan missed it's window, but there's still room to make that a "near miss" if they release it within the next 2 months or so, after that though, it's as philcostin said. Oops.

(Rule number 1 of the software market, don't announce a release date you can't stick with, rule number 2 being sticking with the announced release date as a deadline)

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
          I'm expecting it to be 24-28 July SIGGRAPH;

The last 20% of a project takes 80% of its time, etc.

There will be last minute things and people will ramp down as they mentally see themselves nearing the end of their driver implementation / final legal review projects. Unfortunately, many developers consuming the next generation APIs may give up holding things for Vulkan and impatiently just use DX12 in this time, giving it a slight head start in the industry. Their expectations were set for end of 2015 / early 2016 - so when the expectation is broken, into Microsoft's open arms they go. Oops.
          "I have black and white POV about how things work in real life. Oops."

Considering all major engines are behind Vulkan and majority of devs uses those engines...get a grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

"I have black and white POV about how things work in real life. Oops."

Considering all major engines are behind Vulkan and majority of devs uses those engines...get a grip.
            Oh, shots fired then (for some reason?)

Pecisk: "I have a black and white POV about how the comment above should have been interpreted"

Sure, I know that "all major engines" are behind it. I'm just highlighting the fact that not everyone (smaller engine developers) will stick around for it when they could get started with DX12 now.

It would be nice if they made things easier for themselves for the long haul by committing to a Vulkan based engine - regardless of many months later it takes for drivers to be released than originally announced, but things never quite go as smoothly as people might expect. Since Windows still dominates for desktop PC gaming, I can imagine smaller studios aiming for that 93%.

Let's not get into an argument between the reality what will actually happen (because neither of us know for sure) and what the ideal situation is, since I'm pretty sure Phoronix readers, myself included, generally have a preference for Vulkan over DX12 in so far as it may slightly reduce the effort required for studios to create Linux ports.

Be cautiously optimistic - because there's a window for DX12 to get its foot in the door and therefore derail or delay a few Linux ports. Especially since the steam Linux market share (ignoring wine) is still around 1 - 1.2%
            Last edited by philcostin; 20 January 2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, many developers consuming the next generation APIs may give up holding things for Vulkan and impatiently just use DX12 in this time, giving it a slight head start in the industry.
              dx12 isn't supported by user's operating systems

Comment

Be cautiously optimistic - because there's a window for DX12 to get its foot in the door and therefore derail or delay a few Linux ports. Especially since the steam Linux market share (ignoring wine) is still around 1 - 1.2%
                Let's also not forget that Microsoft has the resources to, and interest in, sabotaging competitors with a different graphics API and actively went to lengths to do such things in the past. When Windows Vista was coming out and Microsoft released a statement that OpenGL would be prohibited from being natively implemented on Windows a few scared developers kept from considering OpenGL until that blew over.

Although to be fair that was a short period of time and the failure of OpenGL to penetrate the market was much more attributable to the OpenGL ARB's own incompetence than it was to Microsofts tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  dx12 isn't supported by user's operating systems
                  Sure it is. It's supported by the OS currently installed on 120 million+ computers throughout the world. Most gamers will upgrade sooner or later. Even those who, as of now, may say they won't.

It's the same as always. When DirectX11 was first announced as a Windows 7 exclusive, many people exclaimed they would never upgrade their hardware from Windows XP.
                  How many hardcore gamers today are still running Windows XP exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Sure it is. It's supported by the OS currently installed on 120 million+ computers throughout the world. Most gamers will upgrade sooner or later. Even those who, as of now, may say they won't.

It's the same as always. When DirectX11 was first announced as a Windows 7 exclusive, many people exclaimed they would never upgrade their hardware from Windows XP.
                    How many hardcore gamers today are still running Windows XP exactly?
                    And with Microsoft "do-you-want-FREE-auto-version-upgrade-FREE-oops-you-clicked-too-late-its-done" new policy of upgrading everyone, DX12 will be even much faster installed...

Comment

Working...
                    X