No announcement yet.

You Can Help Bring Vulkan Support To Older AMD GCN GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks fair enough to me. If you can't wait for vulkan support on your GCN card, grab the amdgpu code, together with the radeonSI code, and start porting over. This shouldn't be _that_ hard, you would just need some time on your hands, basically.
    That done, the Vulkan userspace blob should support any card supported by amdgpu (that has the hardware capabilities, of course).

I understand why AMD prefers to focus on something else: the community has everithing it needs to make this happen, so they are spending their time more effectively by enhancing the latest cards support on amdgpu, or whatever.

I really don't get all these angry replies :-\

Comment

I really don't get all these angry replies :-\
      I bought a laptop with an R9 370 GPU precisely because AMD promised open-source Vulkan support for Linux. If they don't deliver on that, I'm going to be seriously pissed at them.

Edit: FYI R9 370 is a GCN 1.0 released in mid-2015.
      Last edited by BlackStar; 16 January 2016, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        AMD's GPU hardware is great and has been for a long time. Don't mix that up with the state of linux driver support.
        Honestly, don't even go there; old wattage sucking tech built on old lithography. It isn't just a Linux problem as they pull the same tricks with windows driver support.

Would I like to see a decently competitive AMD that has good support length ? Of course I would as it benefits us the buyer and puts pricing/feature pressure on the opposition but unfortunately that isn't happening. The best thing that could happen to AMD is that they are bought out by a sugar daddy with deep pockets that has serious intent in the x86 and GPU market because AMD is always playing catch up with Nvidia/Intel rather than leading from the front.

Comment

Would anyone care to enlighten me as to why AMD can't just update their DRM driver to support older, but still GCN-based, cards? Is there some technical reason for it or is it just that people don't expect AMD to bother doing it? The huge racket about the Vulkan drivers being based on these drivers and this meaning that 2XX and 3XX series cards somehow won't be supported is confusing me a wee bit.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Would anyone care to enlighten me as to why AMD can't just update their DRM driver to support older, but still GCN-based, cards? Is there some technical reason for it or is it just that people don't expect AMD to bother doing it? The huge racket about the Vulkan drivers being based on these drivers and this meaning that 2XX and 3XX series cards somehow won't be supported is confusing me a wee bit.
            They can. It's just a matter of what they want to prioritize their limited developer manpower on - porting older GCN cards to amdgpu, or enabling other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
              Anyone know the lowest end or least expensive GPU that would support Vulkan?
              i wouldn't buy pre-vi card anyway

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                AMD's GPU hardware is great and has been for a long time. Don't mix that up with the state of linux driver support.
                they have best linux driver, since competition has no linux driver at all

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  *kisses his trusty old GTX 580 that will get 10 years of support and day 1 Vulkan support from NVIDIA*
                  GTX 750 Ti
                  And where are the open drivers for this? ohh right, you don't have nvidia support for that!

AMDPGPU is clearly the way to go, it is open, included in the kernel and you can use both open drivers or close driver on top of it.

All this doubt is because the AMDGPU is still not finished, so they are investing the resource in new cards. Older cards have right now better support in radeonsi. When AMDGPU is at same state as radeonSI, AMD or the community can enable the support for older cards and fix any remaining bugs.

Doing the same thing as nvidia would be release the catalyst driver with vulkan for all GCN cards... but no one want to keep catalyst around any more., it is a dead end.

Comment

In other news: I can win the lottery and become rich overnight.

Seriously AMD, directing us to other people's work? How low can you go? If the community has plans for something, let them announce it.

Comment

There is a very large dose of reading comprehension difficulties in many of the responses to this and other similar threads.

AMD refusing to confirm undecided plans has turned into AMD refusing to support older cards and AMD specifically requesting contributions from others.

What is so hard about comprehending what has been and what has not been said by representatives of AMD? Filling the gaps with speculation and asinine hyperbole is not helpful or useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X