Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Push For More OpenCL Hardware Acceleration With GEGL / GIMP

Phoronix: A Big Push For More OpenCL Hardware Acceleration With GEGL / GIMP

Dutch software firm StreamComputing has launched an educational project aiming to get more developers using OpenCL and as part of this initiative they will try to port as many GEGL operations to OpenCL as possible...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great initiative.

Comment

This is a great project. I applaud their initiative.

Comment

Maybe ditch GIMP and combine efforts with Blender. Blender is fast

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
          Maybe ditch GIMP and combine efforts with Blender. Blender is fast
          Sorry, but for the photo editing and retouching I do, a 2D layered image editor is all I need. Why would I want 3D modeling functionality for fixing up images from my DSLR?

And if blender is already fast, why wouldn't someone want to improve the speed of GIMP, which I'm assuming you're implying is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

why wouldn't someone want to improve the speed of GIMP
            Which is exactly the point of this initiative.

Comment

Also Inkscape could use any speedup possible. I don't know how far vector graphics are suitable for OpenCL and such, but if it would help...
              I think Darktable already has options to make use of OpenCL acceleration for certain tasks, though I guess the freedom driver stack still has that as "to do" or WIP in the FeatureMatrix.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Here Vincent of StreamComputing. If GEGL-OpenCL is successful, then we're going to launch alike projects. Inkscape could be possible.

Comment

Here Vincent Hindriksen of StreamComputing. If GEGL-OpenCL is successful, then we will certainly launch more projects. Each project on OpenCL.org will have the same foundation: "Help open source improve, while you learn and improve OpenCL yourself". But let us now focus on making Gimp really fast - we need all the help there is!

Comment

Originally posted by StreamComputing View Post
                    Here Vincent Hindriksen of StreamComputing. If GEGL-OpenCL is successful, then we will certainly launch more projects. Each project on OpenCL.org will have the same foundation: "Help open source improve, while you learn and improve OpenCL yourself". But let us now focus on making Gimp really fast - we need all the help there is!
                    Hey Vincent, if any of the new OpenCL operations for GEGL/GIMP can be done in an automated manner where I could get it testing via Phoronix-Test-Suite, I'd love to help out and run plenty of benchmarks when the time is right on many GPUs/drivers. Feel freee to message me anytime at michael at phoronix.com. Thanks!
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X