Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioShock Infinite Is Almost Working Fine For Mesa Drivers

Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Is Almost Working Fine For Mesa Drivers

With Mesa quickly finishing up OpenGL 4.0~4.2 support and even some OpenGL 4.5 extensions, more Steam Linux games are becoming playable on the open-source drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What OpenGL 4.x game(s) are you looking forward to see running on Mesa/Gallium3D?
    I would rather like to see the existing driver being fixed. csgo on pitcairn and presumably tahiti is pretty much unplayable on mesa git still. Today I made this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLeA3eqW8z8 Note the sub 60 fps performance on lowest settings. Here are a few screenshots of the glitches: https://imgur.com/a/fhpm1
    With highest settings the glitches get even more annoying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_254gH2ztg

Other than that I look forward to unreal engine's opengl 4.3 support. It requires compute shaders, so it will take some time though.

Comment

Not mentioned in the article is that the follow-up email from me provides a (broken) ARB_copy_image impl that's good enough for Bioshock:

I believe this should work on radeonsi as well.

Comment

For pontostroy with radeonsi it didn't: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...gist?context=1

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          For pontostroy with radeonsi it didn't: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...gist?context=1
          Well, I don't have the game myself (I really do wish game publishers would make their games available to driver developers... Valve is good about that, but none of the others are). Could be one of the things radeonsi is missing compared to nvc0, Could be that he's forcing a GL 4.3 context (or perhaps the game is misdetecting things).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            What OpenGL 4.x game(s) are you looking forward to see running on Mesa/Gallium3D? Let us know by commenting on this article.
            Same as yourself, the 2 metro games. Do we even have any other OGL 4 games?

Also don't forget including Unigine Heaven with tessellation in benchmarks from now on!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: BioShock Infinite Is Almost Working Fine For Mesa Drivers
              What OpenGL 4.x game(s) are you looking forward to see running on Mesa/Gallium3D?
              I expect ARK: Survival Evolved to be playable
              It's an GL3 game (Unreal engine ?) but it doesn't work at all for the moment : Bug 91251 - [r600g] "ARK: Survival Evolved" game: shader errors

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
              Well, I don't have the game myself (I really do wish game publishers would make their games available to driver developers... Valve is good about that, but none of the others are).
              Maybe some community users will be happy to buy you some games.

Comment

Someone needs to draw guideliness to game developers to write consistent minimal system requirements for their users

Some game devs said we require 4.1 while mean needed extensions became core in that version (while in reality it is 3.2 game), while some advertised opposite like this with Bioshock 4.1, but we silently wants 4.3 extension.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Same as yourself, the 2 metro games. Do we even have any other OGL 4 games?

Also don't forget including Unigine Heaven with tessellation in benchmarks from now on!
                  right now not a lot. but, any UE4 made game comes with --opengl4 switch where it switches to gl4.2 codepath. CryEngine i think requires 4.3 (or is it 4.2?). and if i remember correctly same switch will be in Unity. that would be high majority of future games
                  Last edited by justmy2cents; 27 July 2015, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                    I expect ARK: Survival Evolved to be playable
                    It's an GL3 game (Unreal engine ?) but it doesn't work at all for the moment : Bug 91251 - [r600g] "ARK: Survival Evolved" game: shader errors
                    Unreal 4. and as all unreal games you should be able to run it with --opengl4. UE4 only defaults to gl3. don't know how well it works though. last i tried that was when 1st demos for UE4 on linux were posted. at that time gl4 had major problems

Comment

Working...
                    X