Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Is Working Towards Headless Compute/OpenCL Support

Phoronix: Mesa Is Working Towards Headless Compute/OpenCL Support

Mesa release manager Emil Velikov published a set of patches recently in what he's working on for render-node-only OpenCL and other code clean-ups...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa has always supported headless compute/OpenCL. This patchset just drops support for the non-render node pipe-loader/OpenCL path.

Comment

Being able to do headless compute/OpenCL would be ideal for running a DNN(Deep Neural Net) on the GPU for a robot (industrial or fancy AI whatever you want ).

NVIDIA Hopes To Sell More Chips By Bringing AI Programming To the Masses
      http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/1...-to-the-masses
      Last edited by plonoma; 07 July 2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Be nice to see AMD FX OpenCL 1.2 support.

Comment

Also, I'm not sure when the last time you tried clover + radeonsi, but you might want to try again. I haven't tested the PTS OpenCL apps in a while, but at least Luxball HDR and Sala should work. I think Luxball Room may still cause a GPU lockup, but it's been a while since I tried. Most other PTS apps should work, but beware of apps that try to use OpenCL 1.2
          features without checking the OpenCL platform version.

Comment

Originally posted by tstellar View Post
            Also, I'm not sure when the last time you tried clover + radeonsi, but you might want to try again. I haven't tested the PTS OpenCL apps in a while, but at least Luxball HDR and Sala should work. I think Luxball Room may still cause a GPU lockup, but it's been a while since I tried. Most other PTS apps should work, but beware of apps that try to use OpenCL 1.2
            features without checking the OpenCL platform version.
            Is it possible to use luxrender with clover yet?
            I can run some test with luxmark with paolo~miguel's mesa ppa some time ago.
            It's the only thing holding me back to go full open source driver.

Comment

Well running Luxmark right now on a 290, it tries to open my hd4600 and dumps with:

Code:
               [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]DRM_IOCTL_I915_GEM_APERTURE failed: No such file or directory [/COLOR]
              Assuming 131072kB available aperture size.
              May lead to reduced performance or incorrect rendering.
              get chip id failed: -1 [22]
              param: 4, val: 0
              cl_get_gt_device(): error, unknown device: 0
              terminate called after throwing an instance of 'cl::Error'
               what():  clGetDeviceIDs
              Aborted (core dumped)[/FONT]
              Thats Mesa 10.6. Hoping I can finally start even testing out OpenCL apps on Mesa 10.7. I keep beignet and clover up to date but otherwise don't mess with it much, it isn't even worth touching until it can at least start luxmark.

Comment

Working...
              X