Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVE-Online crash with the D3D9 state tracker

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
      Well, it's far from perfect, try check d3d9 debugging, maybe it's just small problem somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
        Wine have much work and time compared to gallium d3d9 tracker and for this reason i dont think wine devs dont use gallium (stefan dosinger on fosdem 2014 talks about gallium dont be supported and without forget some copyrighted issues)

However if more people, developers and maintainers help maybe this situation can change

Last edited by pinguinpc; 28 July 2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

MESA haves potential. Attempts to mimic proprietary API is a dead end though. Its really silly waste of time to mimick proprietary API rather than improve (or even create new) open APIs instead. Same goes for launching windows binaries and so on. If someone needs windows - go buy one. Linux is not windows. Its good enough on its own. There is no future in mimicking windows. Proven by ReactOS which is still a crap after 15 years of development.
          Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 28 July 2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
            MESA haves potential. Attempts to mimic proprietary API is a dead end though. Its really silly waste of time to mimick proprietary API rather than improve (or even create new) open APIs instead. Same goes for launching windows binaries and so on. If someone needs windows - go buy one. Linux is not windows. Its good enough on its own. There is no future in mimicking windows. Proven by ReactOS which is still a crap after 15 years of development.

Obviously but ReactOS is trying to do EVERYTHING.. d3d9 is just a graphics ABI and a few other things its doable.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
              I don't understand what you're saying. People using Linux aren't going to want to run two OS's. I doubt developers are interested in porting all their old games to Linux, and you know there's going to be a few new games that won't make it either. The DX9 API isn't going to comete with thinks like OpenGL on linux, but it makes for playing old games bearable. Like it or not the recent attention Linux is getting is due to Valve's influence of bringing games to this OS. They unfortunately don't have a different solution to your run Windows idea.

Comment

i dont know, GTA IV performs pretty good with CSMT patched wine. with nearly everything max i dont see any big framerate drops.
                AMD FX8320 @ 4,2Ghz, GTX 660Ti with prop drivers

According to benchmark from menus, fps is 56.2 @ 1920x1080p with everything maxed except vehicle density and detail density is in the middle

Comment

This is fantastic idea. I hope more people will work on this. People from gaming background will never move to linux in numbers if their old games will not work. Thank you devs for making this a reality.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                    i dont know, GTA IV performs pretty good with CSMT patched wine. with nearly everything max i dont see any big framerate drops.
                    AMD FX8320 @ 4,2Ghz, GTX 660Ti with prop drivers

According to benchmark from menus, fps is 56.2 @ 1920x1080p with everything maxed except vehicle density and detail density is in the middle
                    Yeah , keep in mind that , on this video , the graphics card is at 0a performance level , it is still 4 times slower than top memory clock speed
                    Also another thing , aside from fps , is that the temporary freezes while loading stuff are completely gone on most games , especially games like skyrim , mafia 2 ( this one still has some graphics issues to be sorted )

Comment

Originally posted by tehehe View Post
                      This is fantastic idea. I hope more people will work on this. People from gaming background will never move to linux in numbers if their old games will not work. Thank you devs for making this a reality.
                      The only game I'd still need on Linux is MS FSX, which has no FPS problems, despite its very high demands on the hw, but some other alike:
                      http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23007

Comment

Working...
                      X