Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

Phoronix: Grand Theft Auto Running On Direct3D Natively On Linux Shows Gallium3D Potential

As a follow on from today's Nouveau vs. NVIDIA OpenGL driver benchmarking results that were published earlier today on Phoronix, in the comments an interesting video was pointed out of Grand Theft Auto IV using Direct3D 9.x natively under Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1MTI

color me blind, but isn't https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D where d3d9 (or direct link https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/tree..._trackers/nine ) is happening? last change here was 5 days ago. git repository that was posted was abandoned

i'm not interested personally in d3d9 at least until it requires whole Mesa recompile

Comment

I am not happy

This solution is not good for professional graphic card by games. Now i have any problem with games under linux, because on quadro i have good performance, but by directx this is catastrophe. Please dont making from this default solution for wine. Thank you !

Comment

d3d9 tracker still alive

wiki with all informations https://wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9 (ignore invalid self-signed certificate)
        irc: #d3d9 on irc.freenode.net
        Mesa d3d9 is actually in maintanance mode, it's regulary synced with Mesa and wine git (for wine it's best to use patch against latest wine). It works and need more interested developers

Comment

Originally posted by Atirage21 View Post
          This solution is not good for professional graphic card by games. Now i have any problem with games under linux, because on quadro i have good performance, but by directx this is catastrophe. Please dont making from this default solution for wine. Thank you !
          Speak for yourself bro!

This thing is sooo cool!
          Just imagine faster than blob speeds on os drivers with games not even native!
          Just imagine if wine multi-threading land and you combine this to that!

Too bad this is not mainline.
          But maybe some interested and skilful devs can create sth out of this on top of wine and constantly update it against new wine builds, so as to benefit from the constant wine improvements (like PlayOnLinux does).

I'm willing to bet than not many people will be left with standard wine if such a project materializes.

Comment

This is super-exciting. I was trying this game with wine 1.6 on Ubuntu 14.04 and a GTX 560 - MAN it performs like crap. It's unplayable.

Comment

I like that Razor logo at start... YARRR!!!

Comment

I like the D3D9 State Tracker. Its can help make old games runs better with wine (we will never see this games native on linux) but D3D9 is old enough, that no future games get a tainted native game with this state tracker.

Comment

This is for open source drivers only and it's not likely you using them.

Comment

bad project

we need native games not this even less dx

Comment

What's wrong with you? Wine's solution is to dump more overhead on the CPU to keep the GPU from waiting. That's what the big feature is with CSMT. The weaker the CPU and more powerful the GPU, the more of a problem this will become. This is a great move on Linux to get faster Windows games running. Who cares if it only runs on Linux and requires open source drivers. Do Windows games run 3x faster with DX9 state tracker? Yes? Then I'll be exclusively using open source drivers.

Think of the poor mac users and binary drivers users.
                      Good news cause Linux has a limited unlimited sale of free. Open source drivers also have the same sale.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                        we need native games not this even less dx
                        This will not affect native games at all because blobs not going to support anything like that ever.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                          This will not affect native games at all because blobs not going to support anything like that ever.
                          Of course, this solution is just like WINE, a way of running older Windows software on Linux. Nobody in their right mind will support a Linux game using this when they have the option of recompiling from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                            color me blind, but isn't https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D where d3d9 (or direct link https://github.com/iXit/Mesa-3D/tree..._trackers/nine ) is happening? last change here was 5 days ago. git repository that was posted was abandoned

i'm not interested personally in d3d9 at least until it requires whole Mesa recompile
                            That's a fork, the original is @ https://github.com/chrisbmr/Mesa-3D/..._trackers/nine

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                              What's wrong with you? Wine's solution is to dump more overhead on the CPU to keep the GPU from waiting. That's what the big feature is with CSMT. The weaker the CPU and more powerful the GPU, the more of a problem this will become. This is a great move on Linux to get faster Windows games running. Who cares if it only runs on Linux and requires open source drivers. Do Windows games run 3x faster with DX9 state tracker? Yes? Then I'll be exclusively using open source drivers.

Think of the poor mac users and binary drivers users.
                              Good news cause Linux has a limited unlimited sale of free. Open source drivers also have the same sale.

The reason that PC users are stack with MS, regardless if free software is superior in quality and safety and free knowledge, is because the majority of PC games (art) are based on D3D (MS exclusive). The overhead is there on purpose of making our lives hard and no other technical reasons (as they say), and they have formed a Cartel with non legal deals. If you phoronix people, you where ATI or Nvidia you would support another company's standard? I would have my own. But MS gave them monopoly, and they gave monopoly to MS and Intel. You will not find your favorite games (art) in OpenGL, never, not because OGL is bad, but because they have shares on many graphic engines companies (and games production companies) to secure the monopoly. They have shares to many CPU companies, so ARM will never give you native x86 speed via Qemu, like Loongshon MIPS does. They want you to have both a x86 and an ARM device. And an extra console that has an OGL renderer with the X game, wile the same X game on PC has only a D3D one. Do not expect anything from D3D emulation either. They don't want Linux to win with OGL, they want slow emulation, for them to gain profits. They don't want something thet lives outside their product either.

The question is not what they will do, but what we will do. We must brake their monopoly with native D3D on Linux. Then Linux will go boom at 25%. Then and only then, they will support it without their will, with native OGL titles. Someone must do it, and we will help with our donations if needed.-
                              Last edited by artivision; 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X