Working Towards Lower OpenGL Driver Overhead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof: video

I have seen Video of demos using Mantle. Are there videos for dx12? Not screenshots, but actual videos.

Yeah, a video could be a fake, let us just assume, the video is not a fake. Are there any videos offered by Microsoft?

Comment

Originally posted by toka View Post
      I have seen Video of demos using Mantle. Are there videos for dx12? Not screenshots, but actual videos.

Yeah, a video could be a fake, let us just assume, the video is not a fake. Are there any videos offered by Microsoft?
      No, But they ran forza 5 demo with d3d12 renderer on pc with titan black on gdc:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSzpuRR2FI

Comment

The great thing about Mantle is that it created some competition and got people to seriously look at reducing the overhead of OpenGL and DirectX.

It's like when Mir was announced the development work on Wayland seemed to kick up a gear or two (maybe it's my imagination, but that's the impression I got).

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
          The great thing about Mantle is that it created some competition and got people to seriously look at reducing the overhead of OpenGL and DirectX.
          Weren't these OpenGL features available for well over a year before Mantle was announced? And it seems that DX12 has been cooking for years now?

Comment

Love hearing about OpenGL! Also I have a feeling Mantle is just the testbed for DirectX 12 until its release. Why else would they announce the API so close to DirectX 12's announcement. Since it seems DX12 is still a year to a year and a half away from launch, it makes sense to test the ideas in Mantle before changing everything over to DX12.
            Last edited by Awesome Donkey; 03-21-2014, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              I've only skimmed it, but the fast stuff in the slides seems to need very recent OpenGL.
              Well, obviously, but he was asking for a new GL 5.0 version when GL 4.x can already do it.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Well, obviously, but he was asking for a new GL 5.0 version when GL 4.x can already do it.
                From what I can see, he asked to get rid of the glBind stuff and make the API multi-threaded...

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  From what I can see, he asked to get rid of the glBind stuff and make the API multi-threaded...
                  Yes.... That's what i said. Obviously if you are going to change anything you have to increase the version number since you are breaking compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                  X