Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa DRI3 Picks Up GLX_EXT_buffer_age Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa DRI3 Picks Up GLX_EXT_buffer_age Support

    Phoronix: Mesa DRI3 Picks Up GLX_EXT_buffer_age Support

    The Direct Rendering Infrastructure 3 code for Mesa has picked up support for the GLX_EXT_buffer_age extension...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyOTk

  • #2
    Note: GLX_EXT_buffer_age is supported in:

    KWin 4.11.5 or newer
    Compiz 0.9.11 or newer (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Note: GLX_EXT_buffer_age is supported in:

      KWin 4.11.5 or newer
      Compiz 0.9.11 or newer (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)
      Thanks d2kx, was trying to track down a Kwin commit for buffer_age but couldn't

      Comment


      • #4
        Unfortunatelly for Intel+Gnome it takes more
        https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028#c9

        They surely take their time...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bucic View Post
          Unfortunatelly for Intel+Gnome it takes more
          https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028#c9

          They surely take their time...
          This has nothing to do with GNOME. GNOME is using the buffer_age extension since 3.8.
          The mesa patches got merged all that's missing to get it working (with any application / desktop i.e not only GNOME) is a ddx driver that enables DRI3.

          As for the article
          There's also been Mesa code for the buffer-age extension since last year for DRI2 but now it's been brought into the DRI3 world.
          This is wrong. GLX_EXT_buffer_age cannot work with DRI2.

          The link this points to is talking about EGL_EXT_buffer_age which works for native EGL (i.e EGL on KMS / wayland) but not for EGL running on top of X11 and there is no support for GLX_EXT_buffer_age.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bucic View Post
            Unfortunatelly for Intel+Gnome it takes more
            https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028#c9

            They surely take their time...


            According to that, Gnome already supports the extension. They are waiting for Mesa and a DRI3 Intel driver like everybody else. . .

            Adel Gadllah is a Gnome developer, if there was any reason for taking their time it's because they're busy implementing this extension for all.

            Comment


            • #7
              what kind of opengl version concerns this implementation? Lubuntu (lxde) will take any advantage of this feature?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                This has nothing to do with GNOME. GNOME is using the buffer_age extension since 3.8.
                The mesa patches got merged all that's missing to get it working (with any application / desktop i.e not only GNOME) is a ddx driver that enables DRI3.

                .
                Then why the clutter patch is needed?
                https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028#c9

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  Then why the clutter patch is needed?
                  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028#c9
                  Easy: check out the bug report.

                  https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=724788

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice!
                    Anyone knows what is needed for DRI3 to get used? Support in the various drivers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      what kind of opengl version concerns this implementation? Lubuntu (lxde) will take any advantage of this feature?
                      This is not an OpenGL extension, its a GLX extension so none and no unless LXDE starts using a OpenGL based compositor.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                        Then why the clutter patch is needed?
                        https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711028#c9
                        Because of a bug in the way buffer_age has been used in the past (it worked with nvidia because their driver was broken; they fixed it and then we noticed that it was broken and fixed it as well). But that patch is in the clutter-1.16 branch and already in Fedora and Arch.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                          This is not an OpenGL extension, its a GLX extension so none and no unless LXDE starts using a OpenGL based compositor.
                          thanks for explanation... lxde doesn't use any opengl compositor, so which compositor it uses?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                            thanks for explanation... lxde doesn't use any opengl compositor, so which compositor it uses?
                            AFAIK it does not use any.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              But you can always use
                              Code:
                              compton --backend glx
                              with any non compositing window manager.

                              They have some nice information too:
                              https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/vsync-guide
                              https://github.com/chjj/compton/wiki/perf-guide

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X