Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

    Phoronix: Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

    Mesa 10.1 was released this morning as the latest three-month update to this 3D library and graphics driver stack used throughout the Linux desktop ecosystem. With Mesa 10.1 there are tons of improvements, while one of the big highlights is OpenGL 3.3 support for the open-source Radeon and Nouveau drivers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19958

  • #2
    My goodness, what are people at Phoronix going to have left to complain about?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
      My goodness, what are people at Phoronix going to have left to complain about?
      CrossFire, OpenCL, not being able to easily swap out / upgrade drivers, Video Decode / Encode, Nouveau reclocking.

      ( ^ Not my personal list, just the big ticket items I've seen lately. Personally I'm fairly happy with Mesa )

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        CrossFire, OpenCL, not being able to easily swap out / upgrade drivers, Video Decode / Encode, Nouveau reclocking.

        ( ^ Not my personal list, just the big ticket items I've seen lately. Personally I'm fairly happy with Mesa )
        The moust importante thing for me would be easy updating drivers.
        maybe the BIG patch thingy that was proposed would help witht his situation?
        updating drivers without having to update everything else would be awesome and it probably is one of the things that is slowing things down on linux.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          CrossFire, OpenCL, not being able to easily swap out / upgrade drivers, Video Decode / Encode, Nouveau reclocking.

          ( ^ Not my personal list, just the big ticket items I've seen lately. Personally I'm fairly happy with Mesa )
          - A GUI and/or TUI for configuring graphics stuff, monitoring temperature. Already exists somehow (driconf), but lacks temperature, voltage, fan speed monitoring...
          - real, nice fan control; let's beat the proprietary drivers at that. People are responsible for what they do, after all. Only current way to do it is VBIOS edit, which is risky.
          - overclocking and underclocking. Only current way to do it is VBIOS edit, which is risky.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
            The moust importante thing for me would be easy updating drivers.
            maybe the BIG patch thingy that was proposed would help witht his situation?
            updating drivers without having to update everything else would be awesome and it probably is one of the things that is slowing things down on linux.
            I thought rolling release distros like Arch, Manjaro, and openSUSE Tumbleweed already do that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
              My goodness, what are people at Phoronix going to have left to complain about?
              B-b-but mah dota2 runs at 0.5fps less than on Microsoft Windows 8.1 Blue (tm)!!!one

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                - overclocking and underclocking. Only current way to do it is VBIOS edit, which is risky.
                Right, I still can't overclock my Haswell. Well, I can, but it works slower. Otherwise, it's ben running on par with windows for a good six months now (according to Michael's tests), so I don't think we'll see much in performance. Rather, functionality. OC'ing would be one, for sure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Will I see any improvements on my celeron 2955u HD graphics if I upgrade from mesa 10.0.3 to 10.1?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                    I thought rolling release distros like Arch, Manjaro, and openSUSE Tumbleweed already do that.
                    true, but what i meant is something that i could download and install easly like you would on windows.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      B-b-but mah dota2 runs at 0.5fps less than on Microsoft Windows 8.1 Blue (tm)!!!one
                      4chan user detected

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OpenGL 3.3 for NVD9/GF119 is not (yet) there?

                        The nouveau driver made huge progress for me. I can play Half-Life 2, Portal, even Portal 2 (but it has weird colors in later areas in the game) with Anti-Aliasing enabled (4x) on my older 2.2GHz AMD 64 (single core) with a Geforce GT520 - pretty ok. With oibaf's PPA even VDPAU is working, at least according to vdpau info and to mplayer (though CPU usage seems to high for me.)

                        But I don't have OpenGL 3.3 on Mesa 10.2-devel yet. Only 3.0 with GLSL 1.3

                        OpenGL 3.3 seems to be spefically for NVC0 chipset (as mentioned by the article) and not for NVD9. Though both are GF119 (chipset "codename") according to wikipedia. But according to here NVC0 is GF110 and NVD9 is GF119: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/...vc0familyfermi There is a NVC0 chipset and a NVC0 "family" (Fermi). A little bit confusing.

                        I hope OpenGL 3.3 will be made available for the other chipsets in the family.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've updated my radeon desktop and intel laptop with mesa 3.1 and relevant dri drivers, but the KDE system settings still only exposes openGL 3.1?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                            Right, I still can't overclock my Haswell. Well, I can, but it works slower. Otherwise, it's ben running on par with windows for a good six months now (according to Michael's tests), so I don't think we'll see much in performance. Rather, functionality. OC'ing would be one, for sure.
                            If you are talking about the IGP, it's done in the UEFI, that's why you can do it. I forgot about that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
                              I've updated my radeon desktop and intel laptop with mesa 3.1 and relevant dri drivers, but the KDE system settings still only exposes openGL 3.1?
                              Dont know for KDE but assume it read it from glxinfo output like Gnome, but maybe it is proper for 3.3 to not be listed because:

                              Mesa 10.1 implements the OpenGL 3.3 API, but the version reported by
                              glGetString(GL_VERSION) or glGetIntegerv(GL_MAJOR_VERSION) /
                              glGetIntegerv(GL_MINOR_VERSION) depends on the particular driver being used.
                              Some drivers don't support all the features required in OpenGL 3.3. OpenGL
                              3.3 is only available if requested at context creation
                              because compatibility contexts are not supported.
                              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...otes/10.1.html

                              But someone maybe doesn't also have newest glxinfo, so if you want it:

                              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/dem...emos/glxinfo.c

                              And then compile it with somethnig like
                              Code:
                              gcc glxinfo.c -o glxinfo -lGL -lX11
                              Then see what is listed there .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X