Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    B-b-but mah dota2 runs at 0.5fps less than on Microsoft Windows 8.1 Blue (tm)!!!one
    4chan user detected

Comment

OpenGL 3.3 for NVD9/GF119 is not (yet) there?

The nouveau driver made huge progress for me. I can play Half-Life 2, Portal, even Portal 2 (but it has weird colors in later areas in the game) with Anti-Aliasing enabled (4x) on my older 2.2GHz AMD 64 (single core) with a Geforce GT520 - pretty ok. With oibaf's PPA even VDPAU is working, at least according to vdpau info and to mplayer (though CPU usage seems to high for me.)

But I don't have OpenGL 3.3 on Mesa 10.2-devel yet. Only 3.0 with GLSL 1.3

OpenGL 3.3 seems to be spefically for NVC0 chipset (as mentioned by the article) and not for NVD9. Though both are GF119 (chipset "codename") according to wikipedia. But according to here NVC0 is GF110 and NVD9 is GF119: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/...vc0familyfermi There is a NVC0 chipset and a NVC0 "family" (Fermi). A little bit confusing.

I hope OpenGL 3.3 will be made available for the other chipsets in the family.

Comment

I've updated my radeon desktop and intel laptop with mesa 3.1 and relevant dri drivers, but the KDE system settings still only exposes openGL 3.1?

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Right, I still can't overclock my Haswell. Well, I can, but it works slower. Otherwise, it's ben running on par with windows for a good six months now (according to Michael's tests), so I don't think we'll see much in performance. Rather, functionality. OC'ing would be one, for sure.
          If you are talking about the IGP, it's done in the UEFI, that's why you can do it. I forgot about that.

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
            I've updated my radeon desktop and intel laptop with mesa 3.1 and relevant dri drivers, but the KDE system settings still only exposes openGL 3.1?
            Dont know for KDE but assume it read it from glxinfo output like Gnome, but maybe it is proper for 3.3 to not be listed because:

Mesa 10.1 implements the OpenGL 3.3 API, but the version reported by
            glGetString(GL_VERSION) or glGetIntegerv(GL_MAJOR_VERSION) /
            glGetIntegerv(GL_MINOR_VERSION) depends on the particular driver being used.
            Some drivers don't support all the features required in OpenGL 3.3. OpenGL
            3.3 is only available if requested at context creation
            because compatibility contexts are not supported.

But someone maybe doesn't also have newest glxinfo, so if you want it:

And then compile it with somethnig like
            Code:
            gcc glxinfo.c -o glxinfo -lGL -lX11
            Then see what is listed there .

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
              Its 3.1 because the effects system is bases off opengl 3.1. If you want to see what you support with your card then you need to check the output of glxinfo
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                true, but what i meant is something that i could download and install easly like you would on windows.
                Are you ****** kidding me? You want to circumwent one of the BIG advantages of Linux, the package management?
                What distro do you have? Scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                  true, but what i meant is something that i could download and install easly like you would on windows.
                  I don't understand what you want. The FOSS drivers are part of the kernel. Manjaro makes installing/updating/switching/removing a kernel incredibly easy, and I am sure the other distros don't make it that hard either. What is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                    I don't understand what you want. The FOSS drivers are part of the kernel. Manjaro makes installing/updating/switching/removing a kernel incredibly easy, and I am sure the other distros don't make it that hard either. What is the problem?
                    The problem is that downloading a zip file, extrackting it, giving the extracted exe executable rights. double clicking it, then clicking a dozen of times onto "Next" is much more simple than starting some strange stuff like a package manager and clicking on a weird button with "Upgrade" or something similiar written on it.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                      Exactly, I bought Intel last year just to have the BENEFIT of being able to do that (mainline kernel / Open Source support OOTB). I don't even have to think about it, it just works, and if I upgrade the OS, which is dead easy, i get everything newer. I can even add a PPA to my sources and try newer stuff, and if it's not stable, I run a simple PPA purge and roll back in time. Try THAT with Windows

Comment

Working...
                      X