Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H.264 Video Encoding Interface Added To Gallium3D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • H.264 Video Encoding Interface Added To Gallium3D

    Phoronix: H.264 Video Encoding Interface Added To Gallium3D

    Christian König has added an H.264 encoding interface to the general video code for Gallium3D that will ultimately be leveraged by the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwMDM

  • #2
    Nice.

    On a semi-related note, will the VCE in Trinity and newer APUs be supported? Technically (minus Kaveri of course), they aren't 7000-series GPUs, they're 6000-series (Cayman) GPUs, but they do include VCE from GCN-based GPUs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hardware H.264 encoding, is it actually better than x264?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Szzz View Post
        Hardware H.264 encoding, is it actually better than x264?
        I believe that H.264 is the standard and x264 is the opensource implementation that creates H.264 (ie it is a library)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
          Nice.

          On a semi-related note, will the VCE in Trinity and newer APUs be supported? Technically (minus Kaveri of course), they aren't 7000-series GPUs, they're 6000-series (Cayman) GPUs, but they do include VCE from GCN-based GPUs.
          The current code supports VCE 2.0 which is found on Sea Islands parts (bonaire and hawaii dGPUs and kaveri and kabini APUs). VCE 1.0 is found on Southern Islands dGPUs and Trinity and Richland APUs and is not currently supported. We're looking into it. Can't make any promises at this point.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Szzz View Post
            Hardware H.264 encoding, is it actually better than x264?
            If you're asking about IQ then it's unlikely. Encoding will likely be significantly faster than on the CPU though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
              Encoding will likely be significantly faster than on the CPU though.
              And use much less power, which is often more important (on latpops, for example), and free your CPU up for other tasks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                The current code supports VCE 2.0 which is found on Sea Islands parts (bonaire and hawaii dGPUs and kaveri and kabini APUs). VCE 1.0 is found on Southern Islands dGPUs and Trinity and Richland APUs and is not currently supported. We're looking into it. Can't make any promises at this point.
                I understand it only supports VCE 2.0 at the moment, and that it may or may not ever support VCE 1.0. My question was just that since I keep reading that VCE is only being used by the RadeonSI driver, but the Trinity and Richland APUs don't use that driver as they are technically Northern Islands GPUs (Cayman/VLIW4 to be exact) and not Southern Islands GPUs, and http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ lists VCE as "N/A" under Northern Islands, so I'm wondering even if VCE 1.0 is supported, will it require more code/work to support the Trinity and Richland APUs?

                I'll try and condense that...
                Even if VCE 1.0 gets supported, will that also work on Trinity and Richland APUs, even though they aren't Southern Islands let alone GCN-based GPUs?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                  I understand it only supports VCE 2.0 at the moment, and that it may or may not ever support VCE 1.0. My question was just that since I keep reading that VCE is only being used by the RadeonSI driver, but the Trinity and Richland APUs don't use that driver as they are technically Northern Islands GPUs (Cayman/VLIW4 to be exact) and not Southern Islands GPUs, and http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ lists VCE as "N/A" under Northern Islands, so I'm wondering even if VCE 1.0 is supported, will it require more code/work to support the Trinity and Richland APUs?

                  I'll try and condense that...
                  Even if VCE 1.0 gets supported, will that also work on Trinity and Richland APUs, even though they aren't Southern Islands let alone GCN-based GPUs?
                  It will take a little bit of code in r600g just to make sure everything gets linked together correctly, but that kind of glue should be mostly trivial.

                  So yes, it shouldn't be an issue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                    Even if VCE 1.0 gets supported, will that also work on Trinity and Richland APUs...?
                    We have it working on Trinity now but we don't know if/when we'll be able to release it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                      Even if VCE 1.0 gets supported, will that also work on Trinity and Richland APUs, even though they aren't Southern Islands let alone GCN-based GPUs?
                      There are no dependencies between the VCE and specific 3D hardware, so there's no problem.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                        It will take a little bit of code in r600g just to make sure everything gets linked together correctly, but that kind of glue should be mostly trivial.

                        So yes, it shouldn't be an issue.
                        Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                        There are no dependencies between the VCE and specific 3D hardware, so there's no problem.
                        Thank you very much for clarifying. I'm not as knowledgeable with GPU driver stuff as I'd like to be, so any information about it is always nice! As the phrase goes, "knowledge is power."


                        Originally posted by twriter View Post
                        We have it working on Trinity now but we don't know if/when we'll be able to release it.
                        I presume it has to be cleared via legal and whatnot? I'm sure they're probably busy with things higher on the list than "review open-source radeon driver code," AMD is certainly not a small company and their legal team is probably overworked, so I can certainly understand and don't have any "expectations" for what they get done unlike some other people here, I presume the things they put higher on the list are more important to keeping AMD afloat and I'd rather have them do things like that than stuff for the radeon driver. The "return-on-investment" (time- and money-wise) probably isn't very good for things for the radeon driver, and I'd rather they do things that prevent lay-offs of workers or even create new jobs, I think that's more important and wish others would consider that before complaining about something with the radeon driver.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Like the older versions of UVD, the older versions of VCE have hardware differences that necessitate a separate review due to different risk factors compared to newer hardware versions.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X