Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Direct3D 9 For Wine Revived, Again

Phoronix: Gallium3D Direct3D 9 For Wine Revived, Again

Back in 2010 there was native Direct3D 10/11 support on Linux via a Gallium3D state tracker implemented for the Radeon/Nouveau open-source drivers. The D3D 10/11 Linux support was ultimately removed but last year a Direct3D 9 state tracker was published with patches for it to be taken advantage of by Wine. That work has now been restored...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    David Heidelberger is trying to push along "Gallium Nine" since it delivers better Wine-based gaming performance for some games/hardware. The point he uses is Bioshock running 35-45 FPS with the Direct3D Linux support or just 23-35 FPS with the conventional Wine Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer. David fixed up the state tracker to work with Mesa 10.x. Thus it's now easy to play with and run the code.
    What would be the performance on Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      What would be the performance on Windows?
      Higher, but we don't know what gpu he has.

I'm really interested in the d9 state tracker because wow doesn't work with radeon at all. Either the d3d performance is ass or the opengl driver crashes the game.

Comment

The comparison done with Bioshock running with Wine + it's own d3d implementation vs Wine + Gallium is interesting, but it would be even more interesting to see Bioshock with Wine + Gallium vs Wine + CSMT and it's one d3d implementation.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Higher, but we don't know what gpu he has.
            We know, have a look at this page.

Comment

Running Bioshock at such framerate on an integrated Radeon 6550D is actually quite good. I find it funny that Wine developers don't want to integrate such functionality. It could seriously boost Wine adoption. From the outside it looks a bit of an ego-trip.

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post
                Running Bioshock at such framerate on an integrated Radeon 6550D is actually quite good. I find it funny that Wine developers don't want to integrate such functionality. It could seriously boost Wine adoption. From the outside it looks a bit of an ego-trip.
                This would benefit Linux only.

I may be wrong (speacially since Wine is huge) but wouldn't creating a fork of Wine that has Linux as its only target OS while implementing the Gallium3D DX9 sorta fix this thought incompatiblity?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                  This would benefit Linux only.

I may be wrong (specially since Wine is huge) but wouldn't creating a fork of Wine that has Linux as its only target OS while implementing the Gallium3D DX9 sorta fix this thought incompatiblity?
                  Forking for only a functionality wouldn't be so useful. I guess it shows that Wine should be more modular. Gallium3D is also available on FreeBSD. The only OS supported by Wine that wouldn't get the DX9 tracker is MacOS X (if we neglect OpenBSD and NetBSD, which I suspect users aren't really gamers).

Comment

As i said in the other thread, no matter what the Wine devs reply, it is apparent to all that they don't want to support the d3d9 state tracker because it is not available for Macs.

They have no valid argument. The vast majority of the work for the state tracker is on the part of Mesa. The only thing they need to do is mainline the ability to use it... In effect this means just providing d3d9 calls as-is instead of transforming them to opengl... It is actually quite trivial...

I am sure MESA would mainline the d3d9 state tracker if it was used by Wine. As it is, there is no point, since no one aside a few do-it-yourselfers will use it...

Comment

Working...
                    X