Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands In Mesa! Possible Mesa 11.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands In Mesa! Possible Mesa 11.0

    Phoronix: OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands In Mesa! Possible Mesa 11.0

    It was just one week ago OpenGL 3.2 support was added to Mesa causing a major version bump so the next release will be known as Mesa 10.0. Last night, OpenGL 3.3 support with GLSL 3.30 was patched and now causing a possible version bump to mesa 11.0...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4OTQ

  • #2
    This is great news for Intel users. Does anyone know how long will we have to wait until AMD reaches the same level of support? Thank you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Complete OpenGL 3.2/3.3 support is only for Ivy Bridge and Haswell (gen7+). Sandy Bridge is still stuck at 3.1. Geometry shaders aren't yet done for SNB. See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/046150.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wargames View Post
        This is great news for Intel users. Does anyone know how long will we have to wait until AMD reaches the same level of support? Thank you.
        According to [1], R600 is missing GL_ARB_texture_multisample, Geometry Shaders and GLSL 1.50 for GL 3.2 compliance, while for 3.3 all extensions seem to be implemented except maybe some GLSL 3.30 functionality.

        [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt

        Comment


        • #5
          This is just great news

          PUBLIC OpenGL Conformance Test Suite is dream come true!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            This is just great news

            PUBLIC OpenGL Conformance Test Suite is dream come true!
            The Dream come only true if Khronos use it as reference.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Nille View Post
              The Dream come only true if Khronos use it as reference.
              Nope.

              Its Game Devs who need to pick it up! Especially from big studios. They have leverage. Khronos do not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Considering version numbers mean nothing, 10.0 seems more logical to me, just to keep people from spamming them with "where's 10 series located?" if they went straight to 11.0. Just my two cents

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Considering version numbers mean nothing, 10.0 seems more logical to me, just to keep people from spamming them with "where's 10 series located?" if they went straight to 11.0. Just my two cents
                  Going straight to version 11 is ridiculous, and it seems most people on the mailing list agree. It's going to be Mesa 10.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    According to [1], R600 is missing GL_ARB_texture_multisample, Geometry Shaders and GLSL 1.50 for GL 3.2 compliance, while for 3.3 all extensions seem to be implemented except maybe some GLSL 3.30 functionality.

                    [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt
                    I'm 99% sure that for r600g, the only thing missing is the geometry shader hardware support. And then setting the boolean flags to tell gallium to enable full 3.3 support.

                    It's not clear if anyone is actually working on that, though. The usual suspect would be Marek, but he seems to be working more on SI support now that he's at AMD, along with their other employees. And some of the other volunteer coders have been pretty quiet lately. Maybe they've got a private branch where they're working on it.

                    Also, it sounds like LLVMPipe is very close to getting full 3.3 support as well. A VMWare employee is working on the last necessary extension, and then they just need to fake AA support and it should be ready to go.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X