X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I would gladly make a replacement to DRIConf if...:
    * I had a modern nvidia GPU
    * I knew more about what features can and can't be enabled for each device
    * If I had a clear idea of what all the features actually do (there are way too many ambiguous or vague GUIs out there, and I don't want to make yet another one)
    * If the linux community wasn't filled with so many self-righteous assholes who will always find something to be lacking

It surprises me that DRIConf hasn't been updated since, from a programming perspective, it really is generally a very easy straight-forward GUI to make. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the developer canceled it because too many people complained "it's missing this feature" or "its getting too user unfriendly" and so on. When you take on a project of this caliber, you're going to get a lot of flak if you don't keep up with it and have a solid plan.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      It surprises me that DRIConf hasn't been updated since, from a programming perspective, it really is generally a very easy straight-forward GUI to make. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the developer canceled it because too many people complained "it's missing this feature" or "its getting too user unfriendly" and so on. When you take on a project of this caliber, you're going to get a lot of flak if you don't keep up with it and have a solid plan.
      Just to be clear, guys, DRIConf has new options/settings added to it all the time. The program just reads in xml files to generate the UI. I'm sure it's that process that hasn't changed in forever, no doubt because the devs feel like it performs well enough for their needs and they are focused on actually making the hardware work rather than beautifying the GUI.

Comment

I think what we need now is a protocol, sitting behind a dbus service (somewhat like what XRandR does). This way you can separate the job of writing clients and services, meaning developers can work on what is good for them. e.g. desktop guys can worry about getting it looking good, whereas backend/driver guys can worry about it working.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          Just to be clear, guys, DRIConf has new options/settings added to it all the time. The program just reads in xml files to generate the UI. I'm sure it's that process that hasn't changed in forever, no doubt because the devs feel like it performs well enough for their needs and they are focused on actually making the hardware work rather than beautifying the GUI.
          True, but it doesn't mean it isn't still lacking in features, such as the ones mentioned in the article. Also, there could still be better ways of approaching some of the options.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            So, do you think we should wait another 7 years until someone implements the available options?
            It's all dynamic - the GUI generates the buttons by asking the driver what options it has. If you want to see the XML yourself, type "xdriinfo options 0", it even includes translations in a few languages.

So technically it doesn't matter the code is from 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              It looks nice and is conveniently in the AUR, but it does not fully seem to probe my card properly:

EDIT: It needs root privileges - but still can't see my temperature, which is strange since it uses lm_sensors.
              The clocks and volts data are in debugfs so it need to be mounted:
              Code:
              mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
              and for fstab:
              Code:
              debugfs  /sys/kernel/debug  debugfs  defaults  0  0
              Yes, it use lm_sensors. Today I modified some code responsible for gathering temp info from sensors, so maybe now it will work.
              I can provide support only for Radeons (I have SI in PC and R730 in laptop).

For the DRI, there is only these options?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                It's all dynamic - the GUI generates the buttons by asking the driver what options it has. If you want to see the XML yourself, type "xdriinfo options 0", it even includes translations in a few languages.

So technically it doesn't matter the code is from 2006.
                Oh, I have done that already, as I was curious and had a look at the code. I get the astonishing amount of 11 options here on my HD6870, except setting vblank none of them is useful (who the hell needs options like ""A post-processing filter to remove the blue channel").
                That seems to be far from exposing all available options.

Comment

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
                  Yes, it use lm_sensors. Today I modified some code responsible for gathering temp info from sensors, so maybe now it will work.
                  Cheers, it now works like a charm, with the right privileges.

Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 17 October 2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

This is an old topic but the question remains: Is driconf even actively developed?

I was missing e.g. the functionality that was introduced here:

where with dri3 offloading you can choose a binary name and set up on which gpu it should be rendered.

Every time finding the ID_PATH_TAG of your GPU, and editing an XML file didn't look very convenient to me, so I made a small tool with pyqt.

Source: https://github.com/ChristophHaag/gpuchooser
                    (It's not terribly good yet, so back up your ~/.drirc before using it, if you have any modifications there)

But will driconf upstream getting something like this?

Comment

Driconf is one of the "nobody owns it, send patches and magic will happen" projects. If you want that to happen, send patches

Comment

Working...
                      X