Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIConf Is Still A Mess & Leaves A Lot To Be Desired

Phoronix: DRIConf Is Still A Mess & Leaves A Lot To Be Desired

Frequently brought up within the Phoronix Forums and elsewhere is the lack of a good graphical utility for configuring various elements of the open-source Linux graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DRIConf Is Still A Mess & Leaves A Lot To Be Desired

Frequently brought up within the Phoronix Forums and elsewhere is the lack of a good graphical utility for configuring various elements of the open-source Linux graphics drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NzQ
    yeh but driconf cant only conf what is available - so why bitch about it ? the mesa stack is very new and the conf app for this will follow

sometimes i despair at what i read on this site i really do

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      yeh but driconf cant only conf what is available - so why bitch about it ? the mesa stack is very new and the conf app for this will follow

Have you even read the article?
      The latest stable DRIConf release, v0.9.1, took place back in September of 2006. The code hasn't basically been touched in years
      So, do you think we should wait another 7 years until someone implements the available options?

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
        yeah but driconf can only configure what is available - so why bitch about it? The mesa stack is very new and the configuration app for this will follow

Fixed that up a little bit for you.

Its a point I've brought up though many times myself though... For multi-monitor setups, the desktop environment settings are perfectly fine. And even BETTER in some ways because drivers are being loaded automatically. So new graphics card? Just plug everything back in, don't have to download new drivers, don't have to learn a new website layout (AMD's used to be a pain in the ass..better now), don't have to learn a new config layout and how to do everything. Just go to your settings, go to display, and set it however it needs to be. You may not even have to change it at all, it may not care about a new graphics card and just keep your old layout.

Thats multi-monitor. But overclocking/overvolting? (Which needs to get driver support beforehand anyway) no way to do that graphically. AA? No graphical option, you have to edit an environment variable. Controlling 3D settings and favoring performance / looks? No real way to control that at the driver level. driconf probably should get rewritten / cleaned up, with an emphasis on usability first. (Before someone says patches welcome-- Don't think I haven't thought about it, but I gotta refine my GUI skills before doing something like that hah) Same issue happened with Xorg.conf settings, and I hope if Wayland is also giving users that level of control over things that there will be a graphical utility to handle it, instead of a man page and a text editor. Granted, with ini-style configs, Wayland is in a bit of a better position than Xorg was.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

GPU temperature has not been a problem for me since I have been able to probe my graphics card with lm_sensors. The Xfce sensors applet works with it, and I have all of my device temperatures displayed on my Conky setup on my second head.

Comment

I wonder if anyone noticed this, or does it works the same way as 'merica - people talk about stuff thats pushed through the media instead of what's infront of their noses.
            I am not offending Michael!! But we have what we have, thanks to being ignorant and uninterested. Maybe Stallman is right, its better to restrict self in order to start working on whats worth it compared to accepting compromises...

Comment

Probably the most important item at this point

The ease of which we can configure our now highly/feature-rich open source drivers(any manufacturer) is probably now the single highest priority.

I hope that this will become a top priority for Mesa 10.1

There are certainly a lot of important features to be gained from Crossfire, to GL4.x items, and Nouveau needs a whole lot of things. But this, we need this badly. If it's not that DRIConf is brought up to modern spec, then some sort of control panel needs to be introduced and taken seriously.

Comment

Radeon-profile

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                I wonder if anyone noticed this
                Radeon-profile could make a good potential candidate for replacement of DRIConf. Whatever ends up being the case, it's time for the conversation to get started and the work to be done. Maybe the Mesa crew could deprecate DRIConf and make Radeon-Profile the modern "standard bearer" going forward.(Adding Intel and Nvidia support, naturally)

Sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                  The ease of which we can configure our now highly/feature-rich open source drivers(any manufacturer) is probably now the single highest priority.

I hope that this will become a top priority for Mesa 10.1

There are certainly a lot of important features to be gained from Crossfire, to GL4.x items, and Nouveau needs a whole lot of things. But this, we need this badly. If it's not that DRIConf is brought up to modern spec, then some sort of control panel needs to be introduced and taken seriously.
                  Work won't happen on itself and i doubt any of the devs around the graphics stack has any serious interest (and time to implement it) in ease of use and GUIs and stuff. Linux is not a place where ease of use is a top priority for many projects. Most devs live in terminals, scripts, manual file configs and thats what you get usually since they are the ones that write the code.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    It looks nice and is conveniently in the AUR, but it does not fully seem to probe my card properly:

EDIT: It needs root privileges - but still can't see my temperature, which is strange since it uses lm_sensors.

Comment

Working...
                    X