Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better OpenGL Debugging Support Merged For Mesa

Phoronix: Better OpenGL Debugging Support Merged For Mesa

The crowd-funded Mesa development effort for the OpenGL 4.3 KHR_debug extension was a success and the patches this morning were successfully merged into mainline Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ1MzM

I am glad he made money off of this

.....raised over $3,200 USD of a $2,500 goal.....
    Some people, groups, and companies/corporations believe that money cannot be made off of open source. (some of that reputation is deserve, but not all) But as far as this specific developer is concerned, I hope it warrants him doing another crowd funding venture to do another Mesa/OpenGL feature.

And next time(if there is one) I hope he makes even more than he did this time.

Comment

Thank you.

Did he rewrite some mesa guides?

How about another mesa extension?

Comment

Good to see he delivered on it, maybe more from him in future then?

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          Some people, groups, and companies/corporations believe that money cannot be made off of open source. (some of that reputation is deserve, but not all) But as far as this specific developer is concerned, I hope it warrants him doing another crowd funding venture to do another Mesa/OpenGL feature.

And next time(if there is one) I hope he makes even more than he did this time.
          I'm pretty sure he didn't make a "profit" off of it. The money was to feed him and his family as well as pay the rent. Anything he got above the initial goal, he invested to work a little bit longer on the patches.
          Also a big chunk (~800) were donated by a single guy.

Comment

Good to see he delivered on it

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
              I have written a blog post about this very topic on my website based on the outcomes of the campaign: http://www.itsqueeze.com/2013/09/fun...crowd-funding/

And thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                Good to see he delivered on it, maybe more from him in future then?

Liam of GamingOnLinux.com
                Maybe. I will probably work away on things quitely for a while I can't really take leave from my day job again just yet. Also I hope to build on my current skills before considering another campaign. Although I would love to see someone else give it a shot too.

Comment

Originally posted by deri View Post
                  Thank you.
                  Did he rewrite some mesa guides?
                  Still in progress. See this mailing list archive for the latest document. http://lists.itsqueeze.com/listinfo....-itsqueeze.com

Comment

I am willing to support thiskind of development. But where to find those reliable coders? So many things lacking on mesa still. But I have no idea if they are hard to code or not. I find mesa, wine and kde development a bit hard to figure out. As far as I see there is no simple guide how to setup your own coding platform and how to begin.

Comment

Working...
                    X