Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Vendor-Neutral GL Dispatch Library

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Vendor-Neutral GL Dispatch Library

Proposed nearly one year ago was a new Linux OpenGL ABI by Andy Ritger of NVIDIA. Among the reasons for this proposal of a new ABI included EGL becoming the future over GLX, OpenGL advancing greatly, and issues surrounding each vendor/driver shippimg their own libGL.so.1 file. As part of making this work finally become a reality, NVIDIA has published the code to libglvnd, an OpenGL vendor-neutral dispatch library...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0NzU

Not overwriting system libgl will really help bumblebee.

Comment

Looks very good. Thank you Nvidia!

Comment

Thank you NVIDIA!! ;-)

Comment

Wayland?

Do I read it correctly as the way to support Wayland and Mir?

Comment

Originally posted by makson View Post
            Do I read it correctly as the way to support Wayland and Mir?
            I was also wondering if this has anything to do with a future method to do this. It sounds related. Of course, if it does, I would expect Michael to be a bit more explicit about it.

Comment

Currently, only the GLX window-system API and OpenGL are supported, but in the future this library may support EGL and OpenGL ES as well.
              The way I understand the above, this is likely to be how NVIDIA will try to support Wayland/Mir.
              It's slightly puzzling that they say 'may' though. One would think that they'd be further in their EGL-endeavors, as they've claimed to be working on it for years.
              Last edited by UraniumDeer; 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UraniumDeer View Post
                The way I understand the above, this is likely to be how NVIDIA will try to support Wayland/Mir.
                It's slightly puzzling that they say 'may' though. One would think that they'd be further in their EGL-endeavors, as they've claimed to be working on it for years.
                I don't think NVIDIA has claimed to be working on EGL at all.

Comment

Yea, that is pretty useful. Perhaps that could help leverage those integrated graphics chips on desktops, too, or at least provide a way to switch the monitor between the two at runtime. And it's great for an easy way to switch in and out of proprietary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                    Not overwriting system libgl will really help bumblebee.
                    I didn't know bumblebee was still around.
                    What is the point of using that when we have the shared buffer mechanism that airlied created?

Comment

Working...
                    X