Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State Of OpenGL 3.x/4.x Features In Mesa 9.2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The State Of OpenGL 3.x/4.x Features In Mesa 9.2

    Phoronix: The State Of OpenGL 3.x/4.x Features In Mesa 9.2

    With the release of Mesa 9.2 due out as soon as Thursday, here's a continuation of the earlier Why Mesa 9.2 Doesn't Work For All Linux Users article covering the missing GL3/GL4 functionality from this key open-source graphics project...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ0MTg

  • #2
    KHR_debug some work done (ARB_debug_output)
    This is in progress and progressing nicely. Thanks again to all the backers. If anyone is interested you can follow progress on github: https://github.com/tarceri/mesa-debu...aphics-Library

    Comment


    • #3
      GL 4.2: GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack
      Pretty sure that one's already done. Also, I remember there were some 3rd party patches on the list for SSO. I think ian said he was going to finish that off in the next couple of months (a couple months ago). Not sure what happened there, but that's a big one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Pretty sure that one's already done. Also, I remember there were some 3rd party patches on the list for SSO. I think ian said he was going to finish that off in the next couple of months (a couple months ago). Not sure what happened there, but that's a big one.
        Yeah, 9.2 does support GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack. We just committed the patch to update docs/GL3.txt after making the branch (oops ).

        Ian's still working on SSO.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

        Comment


        • #5
          Cite your sources!

          Michael properly cite your sources!

          http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            His source is 9.2 tree not master as title suggests.
            http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes.../GL3.txt?h=9.2

            Comment


            • #7
              What's the benefit of r300 driver using GL4.2 extension?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Moiman View Post
                His source is 9.2 tree not master as title suggests.
                http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes.../GL3.txt?h=9.2
                Michael Larabel does poor journalism and never cites sources.
                As a professional journalist it is essential to always cite your journalistic sources.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                  What's the benefit of r300 driver using GL4.2 extension?
                  Because, as the name implies, they are OpenGL "extensions". Which can be used from any version - you just have to check if the extension exists and then use it.

                  Some extensions rely on others, of course, and won't be available or make sense on r300 hardware. But others are simply new API that can run on old hardware just fine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Some extensions rely on others, of course, and won't be available or make sense on r300 hardware. But others are simply new API that can run on old hardware just fine.
                    Also, http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTA4Mw

                    R300g is responsible for ATI R300 ASICs up through the ATI Radeon X1000 (R500) GPUs.
                    So wheras an OpenGL 4.2 extension running on the lowest end Radeon 9500 might be silly, an OpenGL 4.2 extention running on a r500 class Radeon 1950XTX or even mid range Radeon 1550 can make a lot of sense. Especially since it's pretty much guaranteed that *at some point* desktop environments will use at least some of these features, just for the compositor. KDE is already pushing 3.x features as it is. So with compositing in mind, it might even make sense for the bare minimum Radeons in the r300 class.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi!

                      Hi i'm new here on this page (and a newbie in the Linux word).
                      How can i install Mesa 9.2? Is there any package or something like that? Or should i wait to any Kubuntu update?
                      Sorry for my stupid question and my bad english. It's not my natural language.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Adamantium View Post
                        Hi i'm new here on this page (and a newbie in the Linux word).
                        How can i install Mesa 9.2? Is there any package or something like that? Or should i wait to any Kubuntu update?
                        Sorry for my stupid question and my bad english. It's not my natural language.
                        The easiest way to stay up to date on a Ubuntu based distro is to use the xorg-edgers ppa: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                          The easiest way to stay up to date on a Ubuntu based distro is to use the xorg-edgers ppa: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

                          Thanks for the reply. A last question: Is this ppa recomended or it's possible to broke my system?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cool

                            Thanks for the reply. A last question: Is this ppa recomended or it's possible to broken my system?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Adamantium View Post
                              Thanks for the reply. A last question: Is this ppa recomended or it's possible to broken my system?
                              xorg-edgers has always been pretty stable for me, but your mileage may vary :P

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X